Is fat the new black? Is it hot? Is it sexy?
That’s one of the things we’ll be talking about this morning on the Big Show, the first day after a week’s vacation – when most of us on the crew probably picked up a few pounds. The fat question is up for discussion because, once again, mainstream America has caught on to something old and made it look new and fresh.
How many people do you know have lost and gained the same 20 pounds for the last 30 years? But when Kirstie Alley does it, it’s huge news that makes the cover of several magazines. Two new reality shows, “More to Love” and “Dance Your Ass Off,” seem to, if not celebrate full-figured women and men, at least acknowledge that they exist. And why shouldn’t they? Overweight is now the norm, certainly for people who spend a lot of time sitting around watching reality shows. So, some producer in Hollywood figured out that huge chunk (pardon the pun) of the viewing audience would be entertained by and be able to sympathize and empathize with people who look more like they do. Duh!
Black people have been doing this for years – loving, supporting and rooting for people who don’t fit the traditional mode. I don’t think it’s necessarily that we relate to people who are overweight, but I do think we are much less likely to dislike people because of it. We’re able to see that beauty comes in all shapes and sizes, and we’ve always been that way. Trust me, the expression “more to love” has been around a long time, and the first person to say it was probably a sister with her hand on her hip responding to a negative comment about her size.
So, back to the question: Is it hip to be fat now that so many mainstream Americans – that means white people – are overweight? Have they found a way to make themselves feel a little better now that their average weight has increased so much over the years? Maybe so. But that doesn’t mean we have to fall for it. Go ahead and watch the reality shows. But don’t believe the hype.
If we’ve learned anything about assimilation, it is that it has its downfalls. Everything isn’t for everybody. If you’re on program/diet/lifestyle change that includes decreasing calories and exercising more, keep doing what you’re doing. Heart disease, hypertension, diabetes – almost every ailment that plagues our race disproportionately – is partly related to our excess weight. We need to get a handle on obesity.
I’m not saying you can’t be sexy and thick. But it’s hard to be sexy if you’re sick.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30