I’ve always liked and respected President Jimmy Carter —and the fact that he designated June Black Music Month back in 1979 is just one of many reasons. This morning, TJMS producers have asked us to take a look at music that makes us feel better, and if you were around back in 1979 (or just read about it, like me), you know they needed some feel-better music. Inflation, gasoline lines, energy crisis, oil spills that polluted the ocean and other major threats to the environment, unrest around the world—1979 paralleled 2009 in a lot of ways.
Thankfully, a lot of feel-good music was born during that time. Billboard magazine’s R&B singles chart of 1979 included “Got to be Real” by Cheryl Lynn; “Aqua Boogie” by Parliament; “Aint No Stoppin’ Us Now” by McFadden & Whitehead;” “We are Family” by Sister Sledge; “Good Times” by Chic and “Don’t Stop ‘Til You Get Enough” by Michael Jackson … all music that makes me smile.
There have been tons of hits before and since 1979 that have lifted our spirits and helped us make it through a rough period by just bringing great memories every time we hear them. “Lovely Day” by Bill Withers; “I Wish” by Stevie Wonder; “Happy Feelings” by Maze; “Be Optimistic” by Sounds of Blackness, and “There’s Hope” by India Arie are just a few classics that come to mind. Whether it’s about love, graduation, conquering an illness or electing the first black president of the United States, music has and will always have a place in our hearts and in our lives. And whether you listened on an eight-track or an iPod, you probably heard it first on your favorite black radio station.
This morning’s In Studio Jam guest is new artist Laura Izibor, and she’ll perform, among other songs, her hit song, “From My Heart to Yours,” live in the Red Velvet Cake studios. That single inspired our topic of songs that make you feel better because it’s one of those songs that seem familiar the first time you hear it. The kind of song that you can’t really sing without smiling. It’s gonna be a song a couple will dance to at their wedding reception and a song some Dad will sing to his little girl.
Thirty years after the Black Music Month began, a lot has changed or disappeared, but the most important things remain constant — love, friendships, family — and the hits that make you feel better every time you hear them. This morning’s “For Real, For Real” poll asks you about the one song that makes everything better each time you hear it. If you’ve got one, and I know you do, holla at me here on BlackAmericaWeb.com, Facebook, Twitter or text me at OhOhOh (646464).
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31