As we wrap up Black Music Month, I realize that there are a lot topics I had wanted to discuss that I might not get to before the month runs out, which only makes sense because there’s no way something as rich, deep and wide as black music could be contained to one month. And, of course, it isn’t really … not on the TJMS, at least. We love, honor and respect black music like no other. Black music is the lifeblood of black radio, and we need each other to survive. If Rep. John Conyers is successful at getting radio stations to pay a performance tax to artists when we play their music, it will be a financial burden that could break the back of black radio – and if there’s no black radio, or it forces more consolidation of the industry, nobody will win this thing.
Forget about what black radio has already done for black music, black communities, the black movement and, yes, black leaders and politicians. Let’s just imagine what a world without black radio would look like. Sure, mainstream radio stations play black music, but are they committed to it? Would every black artist who stops by every black radio station to promote new music have an open door or would one or two of the ones with the widest appeal be given the chance? Would the people concerned about missing two-year-old Jada Justice, an African-American toddler from Gary, Indiana, have a forum to express their anger that the story wasn’t getting the national attention that it would have gotten if Jada were blond with blue eyes?
We are already a shrinking industry trying real hard to survive and battle against bigger, wealthier competitors for a share of revenue. We’ve never been treated completely fairly – rarely able to command the same amount of money for a product often equal to and sometimes superior to our mainstream competition. We were the last invited to the party and are the first kicked out when it’s time to make changes, operating with the worst signals and power in most cities, and, through it all, still able to make it work because there was and a demand for our services. We’re the ones that Babyface and Beyonce, Chrisette Michele and Neo, Cosby and Chris Rock, President Obama and yes, John Conyers call when they want to reach black America because nobody does it like black radio does. If they or anybody reading this blog thinks mainstream radio, satellite radio or MP3 players are substitutes for black radio, I’d love to hear that argument.
In the meantime, as you consider a world without black radio, the big show takes it beyond that to a world without black people, period. How wack would that be? What kind of music industry would there be? What would happen to professional sports? Heck, what would happen to the post office?
Holla at me on Facebook, Twitter or text me at OhOhOh (646464). And, of course, you can always find me at the radio station playing the hits and keeping alive the hope of black radio – and the black artists, black leaders and the black community that that depends on it.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31