As we wrap up Black Music Month, I realize that there are a lot topics I had wanted to discuss that I might not get to before the month runs out, which only makes sense because there’s no way something as rich, deep and wide as black music could be contained to one month. And, of course, it isn’t really … not on the TJMS, at least. We love, honor and respect black music like no other. Black music is the lifeblood of black radio, and we need each other to survive. If Rep. John Conyers is successful at getting radio stations to pay a performance tax to artists when we play their music, it will be a financial burden that could break the back of black radio – and if there’s no black radio, or it forces more consolidation of the industry, nobody will win this thing.
Forget about what black radio has already done for black music, black communities, the black movement and, yes, black leaders and politicians. Let’s just imagine what a world without black radio would look like. Sure, mainstream radio stations play black music, but are they committed to it? Would every black artist who stops by every black radio station to promote new music have an open door or would one or two of the ones with the widest appeal be given the chance? Would the people concerned about missing two-year-old Jada Justice, an African-American toddler from Gary, Indiana, have a forum to express their anger that the story wasn’t getting the national attention that it would have gotten if Jada were blond with blue eyes?
We are already a shrinking industry trying real hard to survive and battle against bigger, wealthier competitors for a share of revenue. We’ve never been treated completely fairly – rarely able to command the same amount of money for a product often equal to and sometimes superior to our mainstream competition. We were the last invited to the party and are the first kicked out when it’s time to make changes, operating with the worst signals and power in most cities, and, through it all, still able to make it work because there was and a demand for our services. We’re the ones that Babyface and Beyonce, Chrisette Michele and Neo, Cosby and Chris Rock, President Obama and yes, John Conyers call when they want to reach black America because nobody does it like black radio does. If they or anybody reading this blog thinks mainstream radio, satellite radio or MP3 players are substitutes for black radio, I’d love to hear that argument.
In the meantime, as you consider a world without black radio, the big show takes it beyond that to a world without black people, period. How wack would that be? What kind of music industry would there be? What would happen to professional sports? Heck, what would happen to the post office?
Holla at me on Facebook, Twitter or text me at OhOhOh (646464). And, of course, you can always find me at the radio station playing the hits and keeping alive the hope of black radio – and the black artists, black leaders and the black community that that depends on it.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30