When you ask someone’s opinion, do you want the truth? Really? Honestly? And when you get an honest opinion that isn’t what you wanted to hear, do you believe it, dispute it or go off on the person that gave it?
I’m not sure how much real honesty exists anymore. It seems that anytime there are ways in place to monitor acts of integrity, we find that a whole lot of lying and cheating is going on — from cops, athletes, politicians, students and married people. With video tape, DNA tests, drug tests, lie detector tests, “Cold Case Files,” TMZ and the show, “Cheaters,” you would think that people would be if not more honest, more careful. But it just seems like most people subscribe to the belief that “it just won’t happen to them.”
Every police officer has to know that there’s a video camera in his squad car, so why wouldn’t he think that beating an unarmed suspect senseless would make the local news, CNN and YouTube? And after generations of seeing men getting jammed up with the question, “Does this outfit make me look fat?” this morning, some defenseless man will try to explain to his wife that he wasn’t trying to hurt her feelings when he honestly answered yes.
So it is it easier to lie and cheat and hope not to get caught or is honesty still the best policy?
Are you lying when you tell your C student that he can reach for the stars and become anything, from an astronaut to the president of the United States? Are you wrong when you tell your child that it doesn’t matter how poorly they perform on the field as long as they do their best? Should you teach your children that skin color doesn’t matter when you know it often does? As a mother, should you admit to your pre-teen daughter that you lost your virginity in middle school? Should a dad tell a son about his old drug habit? Or is it okay to tell a lie if you think the person you’re talking to isn’t ready for the truth?
All this comes up after a story about Mo’Nique, who says she changed her lifestyle when her husband commented about how much she weighed. In this case, his concern for her as she stepped on to the scale led to her handling her business and losing a lot of weight. But let me just say this to most couples out there: Don’t try this at home. It takes a special kind of relationship based on lots of love, trust and maturity in order for a story like this to have a happy ending.
Women, do you weigh yourselves in front of your mate? Men, if your women do weigh themselves in front of you, do you feel it’s safe to share your true feelings?
Can you handle knowing how many men your wife was with before you came along? Women, do you lie about how much money you spend shopping or hide clothes in the trunk of your car?
What’s your reality when you come face-to-face with the truth? Check out our “For Real, For Real” poll and holla at me on BlackAmericaWeb, Facebook, Twitter or text me at OhOhOh (646464).
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31