When you ask someone’s opinion, do you want the truth? Really? Honestly? And when you get an honest opinion that isn’t what you wanted to hear, do you believe it, dispute it or go off on the person that gave it?
I’m not sure how much real honesty exists anymore. It seems that anytime there are ways in place to monitor acts of integrity, we find that a whole lot of lying and cheating is going on — from cops, athletes, politicians, students and married people. With video tape, DNA tests, drug tests, lie detector tests, “Cold Case Files,” TMZ and the show, “Cheaters,” you would think that people would be if not more honest, more careful. But it just seems like most people subscribe to the belief that “it just won’t happen to them.”
Every police officer has to know that there’s a video camera in his squad car, so why wouldn’t he think that beating an unarmed suspect senseless would make the local news, CNN and YouTube? And after generations of seeing men getting jammed up with the question, “Does this outfit make me look fat?” this morning, some defenseless man will try to explain to his wife that he wasn’t trying to hurt her feelings when he honestly answered yes.
So it is it easier to lie and cheat and hope not to get caught or is honesty still the best policy?
Are you lying when you tell your C student that he can reach for the stars and become anything, from an astronaut to the president of the United States? Are you wrong when you tell your child that it doesn’t matter how poorly they perform on the field as long as they do their best? Should you teach your children that skin color doesn’t matter when you know it often does? As a mother, should you admit to your pre-teen daughter that you lost your virginity in middle school? Should a dad tell a son about his old drug habit? Or is it okay to tell a lie if you think the person you’re talking to isn’t ready for the truth?
All this comes up after a story about Mo’Nique, who says she changed her lifestyle when her husband commented about how much she weighed. In this case, his concern for her as she stepped on to the scale led to her handling her business and losing a lot of weight. But let me just say this to most couples out there: Don’t try this at home. It takes a special kind of relationship based on lots of love, trust and maturity in order for a story like this to have a happy ending.
Women, do you weigh yourselves in front of your mate? Men, if your women do weigh themselves in front of you, do you feel it’s safe to share your true feelings?
Can you handle knowing how many men your wife was with before you came along? Women, do you lie about how much money you spend shopping or hide clothes in the trunk of your car?
What’s your reality when you come face-to-face with the truth? Check out our “For Real, For Real” poll and holla at me on BlackAmericaWeb, Facebook, Twitter or text me at OhOhOh (646464).
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30