Fresh off of Congressman Joe Wilson’s outburst during President Obama’s health care reform address to Congress, tennis-super star Serena Williams went smooth off on a a judge who made a bogus call against her. I was thinking of how far we’ve come, and, even with that success, there will always be controversy.
I was thinking about how live TV continues to catch the best and the worst of us, but it’s the worst that gets all the press. “You lie!” will be remembered more than anything the president said the other night. And the tape of Serena pointing her finger at the judge will be replayed more than any victory she’s ever had. And just when I thought I had enough material to start writing, it was as if the god of the blogs smiled down on me – and Kanye West ran up onstage during the MTV Video Music Awards, took the microphone from Taylor Swift, the winner of the best female video award, and announced that Beyonce had the best video of all time.
Now, just like that, Kanye West is the story of the VMAs. Not the winners, not Janet Jackson’s hyped up performance, but Kanye. Just like we didn’t know who Congressman Joe Wilson until last week, Kanye will become known and hated by more people than he could ever imagine. On YouTube, as soon as it happened, there were posts that said he needs to go back to the cotton field, and that his mother should die again.
Electing the first black president brought us together as a nation and separated us at the same time. We are on an the edge of a racial explosion because so many people are filled with such hate for black people that they will use any and every opportunity to release their venom. Congressman Wilson has said he’s apologized, and that’s the end of the issue. Even though I don’t agree, I’m sure much of the country is ready to forget it and move on. Serena has also made a public apology for losing her temper.
Kanye West has been a poor sport and whined about not winning before, and now to take the moment away from a first-time winner only made him look silly and petty. Beyonce ended up having to clean up his mess by letting Taylor Swift finish her thank-you speech when Beyonce won a VMA later in the show. Whether Kanye apologizes or not, I doubt if he’ll be invited to another live MTV event, and I’m sure he and Serena both will be lightning rods for the media for a while – no doubt taking the spotlight off of Congressman Wilson. They shouldn’t.
As offensive to some or embarrassing or unfortunate as their actions were, neither did anything as wrong as Congressman Joe Wilson. Taylor Swift is not the president of the United States, and Kayne, the new self-proclaimed King of Pop, is no congressman. He may have hurt her feelings, but the congressman showed blatant disrespect, not just to President Obama but to the country and the office itself. In this case, an apology is not enough.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30