Fresh off of Congressman Joe Wilson’s outburst during President Obama’s health care reform address to Congress, tennis-super star Serena Williams went smooth off on a a judge who made a bogus call against her. I was thinking of how far we’ve come, and, even with that success, there will always be controversy.
I was thinking about how live TV continues to catch the best and the worst of us, but it’s the worst that gets all the press. “You lie!” will be remembered more than anything the president said the other night. And the tape of Serena pointing her finger at the judge will be replayed more than any victory she’s ever had. And just when I thought I had enough material to start writing, it was as if the god of the blogs smiled down on me – and Kanye West ran up onstage during the MTV Video Music Awards, took the microphone from Taylor Swift, the winner of the best female video award, and announced that Beyonce had the best video of all time.
Now, just like that, Kanye West is the story of the VMAs. Not the winners, not Janet Jackson’s hyped up performance, but Kanye. Just like we didn’t know who Congressman Joe Wilson until last week, Kanye will become known and hated by more people than he could ever imagine. On YouTube, as soon as it happened, there were posts that said he needs to go back to the cotton field, and that his mother should die again.
Electing the first black president brought us together as a nation and separated us at the same time. We are on an the edge of a racial explosion because so many people are filled with such hate for black people that they will use any and every opportunity to release their venom. Congressman Wilson has said he’s apologized, and that’s the end of the issue. Even though I don’t agree, I’m sure much of the country is ready to forget it and move on. Serena has also made a public apology for losing her temper.
Kanye West has been a poor sport and whined about not winning before, and now to take the moment away from a first-time winner only made him look silly and petty. Beyonce ended up having to clean up his mess by letting Taylor Swift finish her thank-you speech when Beyonce won a VMA later in the show. Whether Kanye apologizes or not, I doubt if he’ll be invited to another live MTV event, and I’m sure he and Serena both will be lightning rods for the media for a while – no doubt taking the spotlight off of Congressman Wilson. They shouldn’t.
As offensive to some or embarrassing or unfortunate as their actions were, neither did anything as wrong as Congressman Joe Wilson. Taylor Swift is not the president of the United States, and Kayne, the new self-proclaimed King of Pop, is no congressman. He may have hurt her feelings, but the congressman showed blatant disrespect, not just to President Obama but to the country and the office itself. In this case, an apology is not enough.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31