The topic for this morning is right up my alley because I’ve always maintained that if it’s good to you, it’s probably bad for you. I’m wary of anything that sounds too good to be true, and being addicted to something that isn’t bad falls into that category.
So, don’t give me any fat-free peanut butter cookies or offer me a no-strings-attached anything.
One of my favorite pasttimes is reading about how people become successful, especially when its something they worked for. I don’t read about the Rockefellers or the Carnegies, people who come from generations and generations of wealth. I want to read about the person who had a dream and set out to make that dream come true. I want to hear about the person who attended an HBCU may not have been able to make a call to his dad’s tennis partner who was the CEO of a Fortune 500 company. I want to hear about the person who had something to prove.
John H. Johnson’s “Succeeding Against the Odds” is a book that I’ve read again and again. When I read about how other people have made it, I’ve noticed that those who have had long-term success worked very hard to achieve it. The overnight success stories are a lot less interesting to me, and, like a fat-free peanut butter cookie, they are a lot less satisfying than the real thing.
When I was pledging a fraternity, I went through hell so I could get the benefits of all the other frats that had come before me. So, when I meet an honorary fraternity member, who didn’t have the same experience as I had, I have to admit I feel like they’ve gotten an e-z pass and didn’t put in the same blood, sweat and tears as the rest of us.
I didn’t become the hardest working man in radio so I could become a success. I am a success because I was the hardest working man in radio. I don’t have any get-rich-quick schemes, magic formulas or easy answers to making it to the top. The only thing I know to tell you involves a lot of stuff that’s little or no fun to the average person – getting to the job early, staying late, working for people who didn’t want to show up, working for little or no pay, being broke while your friends are rolling in dough, and doing everything you know to do to get better.
Pick an area, any area, and that formula can still be applied – love, dieting, school, raising kids. It applies to the street sweeper and the rocket scientist. This is not to say that you won’t meet people who find short cuts and all sorts of ways, legal and illegal, to find fame and fortune. More power to them. But I’m sticking to my guns on this one. Anything that comes too easily will only bring short-term benefits. Quick highs, quick fixes – quick anythings – are substitutes for the real thing.
I’m from Tuskegee, Alabama, where we were introduced early to hard work and peanut butter; it was, after all, the home of George Washington Carver. I respect and recognize someone who has put in their time, taken a few hard knocks and kept going until they reached their goal. I feel almost the same way about a good, fattening peanut butter cookie.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31