The topic for this morning is right up my alley because I’ve always maintained that if it’s good to you, it’s probably bad for you. I’m wary of anything that sounds too good to be true, and being addicted to something that isn’t bad falls into that category.
So, don’t give me any fat-free peanut butter cookies or offer me a no-strings-attached anything.
One of my favorite pasttimes is reading about how people become successful, especially when its something they worked for. I don’t read about the Rockefellers or the Carnegies, people who come from generations and generations of wealth. I want to read about the person who had a dream and set out to make that dream come true. I want to hear about the person who attended an HBCU may not have been able to make a call to his dad’s tennis partner who was the CEO of a Fortune 500 company. I want to hear about the person who had something to prove.
John H. Johnson’s “Succeeding Against the Odds” is a book that I’ve read again and again. When I read about how other people have made it, I’ve noticed that those who have had long-term success worked very hard to achieve it. The overnight success stories are a lot less interesting to me, and, like a fat-free peanut butter cookie, they are a lot less satisfying than the real thing.
When I was pledging a fraternity, I went through hell so I could get the benefits of all the other frats that had come before me. So, when I meet an honorary fraternity member, who didn’t have the same experience as I had, I have to admit I feel like they’ve gotten an e-z pass and didn’t put in the same blood, sweat and tears as the rest of us.
I didn’t become the hardest working man in radio so I could become a success. I am a success because I was the hardest working man in radio. I don’t have any get-rich-quick schemes, magic formulas or easy answers to making it to the top. The only thing I know to tell you involves a lot of stuff that’s little or no fun to the average person – getting to the job early, staying late, working for people who didn’t want to show up, working for little or no pay, being broke while your friends are rolling in dough, and doing everything you know to do to get better.
Pick an area, any area, and that formula can still be applied – love, dieting, school, raising kids. It applies to the street sweeper and the rocket scientist. This is not to say that you won’t meet people who find short cuts and all sorts of ways, legal and illegal, to find fame and fortune. More power to them. But I’m sticking to my guns on this one. Anything that comes too easily will only bring short-term benefits. Quick highs, quick fixes – quick anythings – are substitutes for the real thing.
I’m from Tuskegee, Alabama, where we were introduced early to hard work and peanut butter; it was, after all, the home of George Washington Carver. I respect and recognize someone who has put in their time, taken a few hard knocks and kept going until they reached their goal. I feel almost the same way about a good, fattening peanut butter cookie.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25