The topic for this morning is right up my alley because I’ve always maintained that if it’s good to you, it’s probably bad for you. I’m wary of anything that sounds too good to be true, and being addicted to something that isn’t bad falls into that category.
So, don’t give me any fat-free peanut butter cookies or offer me a no-strings-attached anything.
One of my favorite pasttimes is reading about how people become successful, especially when its something they worked for. I don’t read about the Rockefellers or the Carnegies, people who come from generations and generations of wealth. I want to read about the person who had a dream and set out to make that dream come true. I want to hear about the person who attended an HBCU may not have been able to make a call to his dad’s tennis partner who was the CEO of a Fortune 500 company. I want to hear about the person who had something to prove.
John H. Johnson’s “Succeeding Against the Odds” is a book that I’ve read again and again. When I read about how other people have made it, I’ve noticed that those who have had long-term success worked very hard to achieve it. The overnight success stories are a lot less interesting to me, and, like a fat-free peanut butter cookie, they are a lot less satisfying than the real thing.
When I was pledging a fraternity, I went through hell so I could get the benefits of all the other frats that had come before me. So, when I meet an honorary fraternity member, who didn’t have the same experience as I had, I have to admit I feel like they’ve gotten an e-z pass and didn’t put in the same blood, sweat and tears as the rest of us.
I didn’t become the hardest working man in radio so I could become a success. I am a success because I was the hardest working man in radio. I don’t have any get-rich-quick schemes, magic formulas or easy answers to making it to the top. The only thing I know to tell you involves a lot of stuff that’s little or no fun to the average person – getting to the job early, staying late, working for people who didn’t want to show up, working for little or no pay, being broke while your friends are rolling in dough, and doing everything you know to do to get better.
Pick an area, any area, and that formula can still be applied – love, dieting, school, raising kids. It applies to the street sweeper and the rocket scientist. This is not to say that you won’t meet people who find short cuts and all sorts of ways, legal and illegal, to find fame and fortune. More power to them. But I’m sticking to my guns on this one. Anything that comes too easily will only bring short-term benefits. Quick highs, quick fixes – quick anythings – are substitutes for the real thing.
I’m from Tuskegee, Alabama, where we were introduced early to hard work and peanut butter; it was, after all, the home of George Washington Carver. I respect and recognize someone who has put in their time, taken a few hard knocks and kept going until they reached their goal. I feel almost the same way about a good, fattening peanut butter cookie.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30