I think the best part of having children is that they teach you so much about yourself. I spent about an hour on the phone with my mother yesterday – international long distance, I might add – once again lamenting my youngest son’s stubborn streak, when she reminded me of a story I shared with her a few years back.
Has he gotten you trained yet?
That is the question my mother posed when I was finished relaying the latest incident in my youngest son’s potty training saga. She relishes each new tale with an evil sort of glee, nodding in remembered pain, the words “pay back” perched deliciously on her lips. I can’t argue with her. If there was ever reincarnation from mother to child, it’s me and my baby. Of course, I would never admit such a thing to his grandmother. But he has the same independent spirit that my mother requested that my kindergarten teacher temper but not break. The same fearless attitude that found me playing beneath a clothing rack in Walmart and had my son wandering happily through the church sanctuary this past Sunday, flipping casually through pew books and searching for his grandfather who was four hours away in St. Louis. The same determined will that allows my son – through begging and bribing – to hold his urine until his bladder damn near bursts just to mock me.
Independent. Determined. Fearless.
There are times I forget that he’s just like me. On one particular Sunday, in fact, when I was home and infused with a fresh injection of the Word, the sermon had centered around God’s mercy for his children and how that should translate in our everyday lives. So after almost 30 minutes of sitting on the potty without success, I was feeling merciful (among other things) and took pity on my son’s red-ringed bottom. And from my merciful position, a great idea was born.
Ready for this?
Me, in all my merciful ignorance, figured since he didn’t want to pee in anything but a diaper, letting him run around bare-bottomed shouldn’t present a problem. Well, the ending is a lot more predictable now. No more than two minutes into his period of sweet freedom, my oldest son’s eyes were rounder than saucers as a ring of wetness bridged the gap between him and his brother – and it took all I had to remember my merciful stance.
Independent. Determined. Fearless.
Days later, my oldest son would still tug occasionally on my sleeve to remind me that Junior peed on the rug. Of course, he couldn’t remember to keep his Legos out of the toilet two minutes after I told him, but then it was and still is much more important to keep the spotlight of Mommy’s wrath on the wrong doings of his brother. You can ask my older sister all about that.
Now all I can do is hope that his teachers are as understanding and patient with him as they were with me. And I can only wish, as my mother did countless times when I was growing up, that my baby has a child just like him. Interestingly enough, the traits that I fear will make me tear my hair out now are exactly the ones I want him to have when he’s older.
Independence. Determination. Fearlessness.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30