I think the best part of having children is that they teach you so much about yourself. I spent about an hour on the phone with my mother yesterday – international long distance, I might add – once again lamenting my youngest son’s stubborn streak, when she reminded me of a story I shared with her a few years back.
Has he gotten you trained yet?
That is the question my mother posed when I was finished relaying the latest incident in my youngest son’s potty training saga. She relishes each new tale with an evil sort of glee, nodding in remembered pain, the words “pay back” perched deliciously on her lips. I can’t argue with her. If there was ever reincarnation from mother to child, it’s me and my baby. Of course, I would never admit such a thing to his grandmother. But he has the same independent spirit that my mother requested that my kindergarten teacher temper but not break. The same fearless attitude that found me playing beneath a clothing rack in Walmart and had my son wandering happily through the church sanctuary this past Sunday, flipping casually through pew books and searching for his grandfather who was four hours away in St. Louis. The same determined will that allows my son – through begging and bribing – to hold his urine until his bladder damn near bursts just to mock me.
Independent. Determined. Fearless.
There are times I forget that he’s just like me. On one particular Sunday, in fact, when I was home and infused with a fresh injection of the Word, the sermon had centered around God’s mercy for his children and how that should translate in our everyday lives. So after almost 30 minutes of sitting on the potty without success, I was feeling merciful (among other things) and took pity on my son’s red-ringed bottom. And from my merciful position, a great idea was born.
Ready for this?
Me, in all my merciful ignorance, figured since he didn’t want to pee in anything but a diaper, letting him run around bare-bottomed shouldn’t present a problem. Well, the ending is a lot more predictable now. No more than two minutes into his period of sweet freedom, my oldest son’s eyes were rounder than saucers as a ring of wetness bridged the gap between him and his brother – and it took all I had to remember my merciful stance.
Independent. Determined. Fearless.
Days later, my oldest son would still tug occasionally on my sleeve to remind me that Junior peed on the rug. Of course, he couldn’t remember to keep his Legos out of the toilet two minutes after I told him, but then it was and still is much more important to keep the spotlight of Mommy’s wrath on the wrong doings of his brother. You can ask my older sister all about that.
Now all I can do is hope that his teachers are as understanding and patient with him as they were with me. And I can only wish, as my mother did countless times when I was growing up, that my baby has a child just like him. Interestingly enough, the traits that I fear will make me tear my hair out now are exactly the ones I want him to have when he’s older.
Independence. Determination. Fearlessness.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25