I think the best part of having children is that they teach you so much about yourself. I spent about an hour on the phone with my mother yesterday – international long distance, I might add – once again lamenting my youngest son’s stubborn streak, when she reminded me of a story I shared with her a few years back.
Has he gotten you trained yet?
That is the question my mother posed when I was finished relaying the latest incident in my youngest son’s potty training saga. She relishes each new tale with an evil sort of glee, nodding in remembered pain, the words “pay back” perched deliciously on her lips. I can’t argue with her. If there was ever reincarnation from mother to child, it’s me and my baby. Of course, I would never admit such a thing to his grandmother. But he has the same independent spirit that my mother requested that my kindergarten teacher temper but not break. The same fearless attitude that found me playing beneath a clothing rack in Walmart and had my son wandering happily through the church sanctuary this past Sunday, flipping casually through pew books and searching for his grandfather who was four hours away in St. Louis. The same determined will that allows my son – through begging and bribing – to hold his urine until his bladder damn near bursts just to mock me.
Independent. Determined. Fearless.
There are times I forget that he’s just like me. On one particular Sunday, in fact, when I was home and infused with a fresh injection of the Word, the sermon had centered around God’s mercy for his children and how that should translate in our everyday lives. So after almost 30 minutes of sitting on the potty without success, I was feeling merciful (among other things) and took pity on my son’s red-ringed bottom. And from my merciful position, a great idea was born.
Ready for this?
Me, in all my merciful ignorance, figured since he didn’t want to pee in anything but a diaper, letting him run around bare-bottomed shouldn’t present a problem. Well, the ending is a lot more predictable now. No more than two minutes into his period of sweet freedom, my oldest son’s eyes were rounder than saucers as a ring of wetness bridged the gap between him and his brother – and it took all I had to remember my merciful stance.
Independent. Determined. Fearless.
Days later, my oldest son would still tug occasionally on my sleeve to remind me that Junior peed on the rug. Of course, he couldn’t remember to keep his Legos out of the toilet two minutes after I told him, but then it was and still is much more important to keep the spotlight of Mommy’s wrath on the wrong doings of his brother. You can ask my older sister all about that.
Now all I can do is hope that his teachers are as understanding and patient with him as they were with me. And I can only wish, as my mother did countless times when I was growing up, that my baby has a child just like him. Interestingly enough, the traits that I fear will make me tear my hair out now are exactly the ones I want him to have when he’s older.
Independence. Determination. Fearlessness.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/7-10/14)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Nite | to the tune of @cnn 😞
1 of 25
2. Got so much work to do but I just wanna stay in bed and binge watch #Gameofthrones and start the new season of #OnceUponATime. I know I can't be the only one. Right? Ha 💤🦁🍂 #saturday
2 of 25
3. Mommy's weekend turn up ❤️👶🏾💕🍼 Wouldn't trade it for nothing. #TeamNoSleep lol #HesMyBiggestBlessing ✨
3 of 25
4. One of them oh shit mont we made it feelings … this shit still be unreal 💯💪🏾 @remyboymonty1738
4 of 25
5. Tickets Available October 14 @ticketmaster.
5 of 25
6. People magazine Home edition has raided my house! Get a sneak peek into the bedroom life of the Leakes and see other parts of my home now at PEOPLE.COM
6 of 25
7. They want to kick you when you down, but kick it when you up
7 of 25
8. Got my advance copy of #Mafia3 at @gamestop. Get yours via link in the bio #Mafia3 #Ad
8 of 25
9. This is some of the cast and our diverse team of writers in the writer's room creating funny sh*t for @nbcmarlon what a fun room! Lots of jokes, great stories and having a great time doing what we love... making people laugh and feel something. Look out for our show next year @nbcmarlon we bringing sitcoms back to NBC
9 of 25
10. #HappySunday☀️Thank you @4everbrandy101 💛💡💛
10 of 25
11. Happy to be back in Central Falls, RI breaking ground for the One Stop Health Center and hosting a local community event with #Vaseline.
11 of 25
12. Thank you all in advance 💋💋💋 #Repost @urbansvintage・・・#TarajiPHenson's memoir #AroundTheWayGirl will be available everywhere TODAY October 11th! Will you be purchasing a copy? #UrbansVintage
12 of 25
13. Moms got my back
13 of 25
14. @galore dinner party glo ✨ thanks to @styledbygiigii
14 of 25
15. 🌹#ThisIsWhatTheTruthFeelsLikeTOUR #forevereve
15 of 25
16. Yes, all those videos I've been posting have led to this: the introduction of skincare to @TYRABeauty! This is the rundown on the new line:Years of research and beauty tips I live by led me to produce the most effective and delightful skincare out there. I'm all about taking really good care of my skin, so I can look like I'm aging in #TyraYears and go filter free on Instagram when I feel like it! Now, it's your turn. ✨My Mama always told me not to wash my face with just my hands. "Tyra, girl, you're just moving the dirt around!" And I've listened. First up is The Clean Machine.... ...a 3-in-1 foaming face wash that cleanses, removes makeup and purified your skin. It has patented technology - a attached Turbo Cleansing Tool - to give you that deep clean that makes your skin feel super fresh. Wanna know more? Yeah, baby. Click that link in my bio.
16 of 25
17. On set of #beingmaryjane like... ❤️😬💃🏾
17 of 25
18. #carouselofhope@yvetteshelton100@makeupbylatrice @thestacetheface@marialuciahohan24
18 of 25
19. I refuse to let a little cold stop me from my daily routines to greatness. #onlythestrongsurvive #warriors
19 of 25
20. Big things begin with big THINKING... #BusinessEthics #SetLife 🎥
20 of 25
21. Goodnight - here's a song
21 of 25
22. Words can't explain the feeling that I have right now.....God is good. look momma I made it. #Harts #Blessed #WhatNow #comedicrockstarshit #4DaysAway
22 of 25
23. I tried to get a better video with out the nasty bib but she started getting mad at me..lol! Big cuz @the_queen_caitlin trying to show her what to do. #MamasToots #HeirBear👑💜
23 of 25
24. Gorgeous Serena joined Beyoncé in Formation last night on stage in New Jersey!!!
24 of 25
25. 😜 @lifeofdesiigner & @rockohill
25 of 25