The other day, it came out in the news that actress Lindsay Lohan broke up with her girlfriend … on Twitter. Some people reading this will find themselves asking at least one of three questions: Who’s Lindsay Lohan? Is she gay? And what the heck is Twitter? I hear you. But the real point of the story is that, once again, technology bites someone in the behind.
In my opinion, all break-ups should take place in person. And as much as I’d like to point the finger (or the thumbs) at the generation of mad texters, it really goes back farther than that, quite possibly back to the day of the caveman. I’m sure plenty of cavewomen found out their marriage was over by reading it off the wall of a cave for the whole cave community to see.
Back in the ‘80s, Phil Donahue and Oprah Winfrey perfected the format of having real people tell their personal business in public, and the world became fascinated with hearing other people’s problems. And, like most things that start out pure and honest, someone found a way to use it for evil. The next thing you know, Jerry Springer, Geraldo Rivera, Ricki Lake and Maury Povitch were getting rich off of people who were willing to share anything and everything in exchange for trip to the big city, a hotel stay and an appearance on television.
I remember watching an episode of “Jerry Springer” in the ‘90s when a gay woman invited her lover to appear on his show, thinking that they were going to discuss the difficulties of being an openly gay couple. Instead, the woman’s girlfriend announced to the audience and those watching at home that she was leaving her for the woman’s identical twin sister, who was also gay.
The audience was shocked, amazed, appalled and disgusted and booed when they heard what the woman had done to her girlfriend. Jerry Springer even was shocked, even though I’m 99 percent sure his producers had told him beforehand what was going to take place.
But throughout out the chaos surrounding the devastating revelation, the jilted woman sat calmly. Jerry walked up to her and asked if she had anything to say to the woman she thought she’d be sharing the rest of her life with. The woman looked at her former life mate and simply said, “Couldn’t you have just said this to me at home?”
I’m no wizard when it comes to technology, but over the years, I’ve personally been involved in or have witnessed how everything from fax machines to Facebook pages can get people in big trouble. But I also know the importance of staying relevant, and so I participate in this new wave of technology, whether I like it – or even understand it – or not. So, yes not only can you hear me on the radio; you can hear the show on BlackAmericaWeb.com, or you can call me, text me, fax me, read my blogs, check out my Facebook page or you can even tweet with me on Twitter.
But with all these ways to communicate and literally be hooked up with everyone you know – and some people you don’t – every second of your life, some things should still be private. Lindsay Lohan was wrong for what she did, and the words of the stunned Jerry Springer guest ring just as true in Lindsay’s situation. Breaking up with whoever you want to break up with, but can’t you just say it to the person at home?
If you’ve been broken up with, fired, engaged or propositioned by email, fax, text or – Lord help us – Twitter, let me know about it. And I don’t have to tell you how. These days, it’s impossible NOT to reach me!
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31