Last night, President Barack Obama addressed the nation at what is being called the State of the Economy address. We can tell it was important because it pre-empted “American Idol!”
One of the things I love about the president is that even though he’s doing what he can to make improve the economy and provide help for those who need it, he always reminds us that of the personal responsibility involved here. A lot of what we did got us into this mess, and we’re going to have to do some things to get ourselves out – and it might take a while. After all, he’s the first president I’ve ever heard admit during his election victory speech that there’s a good chance that things wouldn’t get much better in his first term. We’re not used to that kind of honesty in this country, but I think it let us all know that what we’re in store for.
This morning, Senior Producer Nikki Woods and her team has laid out a show that asks us to examine the state of “our” union. In the midst of these tough times, what are black folks doing to survive the recession? What are some practical tricks and tips you’ve implemented at your house?
Here’s a tip for you: The people who are surviving the most have been living smart in a recession and out of one. In other words, people who do the best in any situation are people who do the right things most of the time, not just when times get tough. A lot of people are getting to work on time, staying late and not missing days because they recognize that their bosses may be looking for reasons to replace them. Well, guess what? You should have been doing those things all the time. It won’t guarantee that you won’t get laid off, just like not over-spending and putting money way for rainy day won’t guarantee that you won’t have it rough in this economy. But here’s a guarantee. Doing the right thing in good times and bad times keeps you prepared and on top of things, and when the economy does turn around, you will be in a better place than the people who are just waking up and deciding to make a change.
So, today is a good day for us to check ourselves. What state is your household in? What state is your health in? What state is your spirituality in? What state is your work ethic in? All of these things need to be in order, and if they aren’t, start working on them today. The economy will get better eventually, I promise. But if you and your family haven’t gotten yourselves together, it won’t even matter.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25