This has been a tough season for high profile young brothers. Too many of them, from Plaxico Burress to Chris Brown, have ruined their careers, their lives and the lives of others because of their involvement in violent crimes. A year and a half ago, rapper T.I. – real name, Clifford Harris – may have been involved in one of the dumbest crimes of the century. He was arrested in October 2007 in an Atlanta parking lot hours before he was to perform at the BET Hip-Hop Awards.
T.I. was caught in a federal sting after his bodyguard-turned-informant delivered three machine guns and two silencers to him, prosecutors said.
His story provided plenty material for comedians once it was brought out that the arrest took place in a Walgreen’s parking lot. After all, most people on the way to a show stop at a store for bottled water and gum, not automatic weapons.
It looked like the year 2007 was the beginning of the end for the multi-platinum rapper, who starred in the hit movie “ATL”, was featured in Chevy commercials and had been named to Forbes’ list of top-earning rappers, making an estimated $16 million in 2006.
The year that T.I. took a huge fall, another young entertainer’s star was on the rise. In 2007, Chris Brown had two number-one hit singles, and his debut album in 2005 sold over 2 million copies in the U.S. By 2007, Chris Brown had landed acting jobs on several TV shows, appeared in two major films and was featured in MTV show, “Chris Brown: My Super 18,” that chronicled his 18th birthday celebration in New York City. His “The Exclusive Holiday” concert tour kicked off in December 2007 and concluded in February 2008 in Hawaii. During that time, it seemed like Chris Brown’s life couldn’t be more different than T.I.’s, and if anyone had to choose whose life would turn out better, most would have chosen Chris, hands down.
But almost one year to the date that his successful tour ended, he was booked on suspicion of making threats, which led to his highly publicized arrest for allegedly causing injuries to his girlfriend Rihanna. His commercial advertisements were pulled, public performances canceled and his future as a performer is in doubt. If convicted on some of the most serious of several charges, Chris Brown could serve many, many years in prison.
T.I., on the other hand, was sentenced on Friday to one year and one day in prison and ordered to a pay $103,300 fine on weapons charges. Since his arrest and time served in prison last year, T.I. has done everything from mentoring at-risk students to encouraging people to register and vote in November’s presidential election. The 28-year-old received praise from former Atlanta Mayor and U.N. Ambassador Andrew Young and Bishop Eddie Long.
Count me among those who believe that T.I. appeared to be a guy who really wanted to do everything he could not just to save his career, but to make a difference in the lives of some people along the way. It’s too soon to see what Chris Brown will do, but so far he’s made some mistakes since the allegations that make me wonder whether he’ll be able to turn his career around. I hope that the person who got a hold to T.I. can get Chris’s ear and advise him on how to handle himself during this crisis mode.
Either way, it just goes to show that second chances aren’t always given to people. Sometimes second chances are earned.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30