If you’re usually running late and forgot to set your clock ahead an hour, you were really late for church on Sunday. But if you’re normally on time and a stickler for punctuality and forgot to spring forward, your day was probably ruined. A lot of us put pressure on ourselves when it comes to being on time and meeting deadlines; some of us struggle with it, and some of us just don’t stress about it at all. Since I’ve spent almost my entire career in radio where I’m practically a slave to the clock, where every second not only counts but costs money, when I’m not on the air, I tend to move at my own pace. For me, life is about having a good time, and you can’t do that if you’re always stressing out about being some place, other than work, on time. I know some black people who are so offended at the notion of CP time, they make it a point never to be late for anything. But the majority of people, black or white, who are punctual are just conscientious men and women who have respect for their time – and more importantly, other people’s time. In these recessionary times when jobs are tight, everybody should be figuring out ways to improve their work habits, including showing up to work every day and on time. If you’ve lost your job and are looking, you’ve got to be on time for all appointments and interviews.
The rule for most employers is if you’re early, you’re on time, and if you’re on time, you’re late! The last thing they want to hear is excuses. Unless you’re the only applicant for the job or you’re Randy Moss applying for a job with the Dallas Cowboys, you’re probably not that special to a potential employer. Show up late, and it just makes it easier for them eliminate you for someone they really want. A friend of mine in the job market in L.A. years ago was told not to ever use traffic as an excuse. Yes, L.A. is known for major traffic problems, and since that’s a known fact, you should always allow for the jam that is almost inevitable. And speaking of jams, every once in a while, you’re going to be in one, and the only thing you can do is to try to come up with the best excuse possible for being late. When you’re this desperate, you might as well go for it because you’ve got nothing to lose. For you I offer, but do not endorse, the following excuses:
1. We had a power outage, and I couldn’t do anything but lie in bed until the lights came back on.
2. My baby swallowed my car keys.
3. DMX and Coolio stole my car.
4. I was sitting at home listening to Obama’s “Yes We Can” CD and lost track of the time.
5. I was tied up and forgot my safe word.
6. I was in Washington D.C. getting vetted.
7. Morgan Freeman was giving me and some white lady a ride, and we ended up in a ditch.
8. I was counseling Chris Brown.
9. I was counseling Rihanna.
10. I was stuck at the home of that great marriage counselor and life coach, Sean “Puffy” Combs.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30