If you’re usually running late and forgot to set your clock ahead an hour, you were really late for church on Sunday. But if you’re normally on time and a stickler for punctuality and forgot to spring forward, your day was probably ruined. A lot of us put pressure on ourselves when it comes to being on time and meeting deadlines; some of us struggle with it, and some of us just don’t stress about it at all. Since I’ve spent almost my entire career in radio where I’m practically a slave to the clock, where every second not only counts but costs money, when I’m not on the air, I tend to move at my own pace. For me, life is about having a good time, and you can’t do that if you’re always stressing out about being some place, other than work, on time. I know some black people who are so offended at the notion of CP time, they make it a point never to be late for anything. But the majority of people, black or white, who are punctual are just conscientious men and women who have respect for their time – and more importantly, other people’s time. In these recessionary times when jobs are tight, everybody should be figuring out ways to improve their work habits, including showing up to work every day and on time. If you’ve lost your job and are looking, you’ve got to be on time for all appointments and interviews.
The rule for most employers is if you’re early, you’re on time, and if you’re on time, you’re late! The last thing they want to hear is excuses. Unless you’re the only applicant for the job or you’re Randy Moss applying for a job with the Dallas Cowboys, you’re probably not that special to a potential employer. Show up late, and it just makes it easier for them eliminate you for someone they really want. A friend of mine in the job market in L.A. years ago was told not to ever use traffic as an excuse. Yes, L.A. is known for major traffic problems, and since that’s a known fact, you should always allow for the jam that is almost inevitable. And speaking of jams, every once in a while, you’re going to be in one, and the only thing you can do is to try to come up with the best excuse possible for being late. When you’re this desperate, you might as well go for it because you’ve got nothing to lose. For you I offer, but do not endorse, the following excuses:
1. We had a power outage, and I couldn’t do anything but lie in bed until the lights came back on.
2. My baby swallowed my car keys.
3. DMX and Coolio stole my car.
4. I was sitting at home listening to Obama’s “Yes We Can” CD and lost track of the time.
5. I was tied up and forgot my safe word.
6. I was in Washington D.C. getting vetted.
7. Morgan Freeman was giving me and some white lady a ride, and we ended up in a ditch.
8. I was counseling Chris Brown.
9. I was counseling Rihanna.
10. I was stuck at the home of that great marriage counselor and life coach, Sean “Puffy” Combs.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31