Everyday we read about an outrageous thing a child or teenager has done, from having affairs with their teachers to hitting their parents with shovels when asked to remove snow from the driveway. It’s gotten so crazy that the regular stuff our kids do seem minor in comparison. But most of the time, we aren’t comparing what our kids do to the over-the-top antics of the children who make the headlines.
This morning, producer Erica Taylor wants to know what your kids have done to make you panic.
Every parent with teens knows what it feels like when they miss curfew, and every mother or father of young children has had to face the moment when they get lost at an amusement park, the mall or a grocery store. I don’t think you’re a real parent if you haven’t uttered the phrase, “If they’re alive, I’m going to kill them.” We love them so much that when they do things to put themselves in danger, we want do something that will assure us that they will never do it again.
Our thinking is that we have the power to protect our kids from danger, if only they would listen to us. But in reality, we can do everything in our power to make certain that our children know the rules and follow them – and things can still go terribly wrong. I started the week talking about accountability, so I may as well end it the same way. We spend a lot of time protecting, nurturing and educating what belongs to us and thinking that that’s enough to make the world better. But our children and teens don’t live in a protective bubble. At some point, they will run into someone who hasn’t been protected, nurtured or educated, and that’s a situation we cannot control.
So, instead of only being concerned about what we have and what we’re doing, we have to make sure that others who are less fortunate have a chance for a better life. As the economy worsens, so does our ability and sometimes even our desire to reach out. If you are giving less money to your church, a youth program, or your HBCU, remember that there other meaningful things you can contribute, like your time and talent. But whatever you do, give something back and teach your kids to do the same.
The world is smaller than we think, so it makes sense for us to make sure our neighbors — whether they live next door or on the other side of town — have a decent quality of life. Because even though your child may remember to buckle his seat belt, drive the speed limit, honor his curfew and respect his elders, it is becoming more and more likely that his world will collide with one of the thousands of young people out there with no attachments, no education, no hope and nothing to lose.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31