I don’t know about you, but for me, now that President Barack Obama holds the highest office in the land, the holiday President’s Day has taken on a whole new meaning. Before, the main thing that got my attention on President’s Day was that the banks were closed, and, depending on my cash flow, that was good news or bad news — bad news if I was running low and good news if it meant didn’t have to worry about the bad check I had written on Friday. If the banks were closed on Monday, I had an extra day to put the cash in and beat the check to bank. Y’all new schoolers don’t know anything about that. Ask your parents!
Anyway, today is President’s Day, and my chest is sticking out because President Barack Obama is in the Oval office and the First Lady, Michelle, and their beautiful children and Michelle’s mom, Mrs. Robinson, are at the house. If it weren’t true, it would make a perfect sitcom. A black president, a strong-willed wife, two little girls and a no-nonsense mother-in-law living in the White House.
Except it isn’t a Hollywood script. And nobody realizes that more than the president right about now. He’s catching it in every direction. The critics aren’t letting up; he can’t find a commerce secretary, and the economy sucks more and more every day. Nothing is funny about any of that. The reality is he took the helm of the ship during one of the worst storms in history. We knew it, and so did he. But yet, he kept on going forward, and we kept on supporting him until he did the near impossible — won the election. So, now that he’s here, and we helped him get here, we can’t abandon the ship. That doesn’t mean we have to agree with everything he says and does 100 percent, but at least trust him to try to do what we believed he could.
So, it’s going to be a long four years for President Barack Obama; we know that. If you cast a vote for him, bought a T-shirt, shed a tear at the inauguration or still roll your eyes when you see a McCain-Palin bumper sticker on the back of a car, then continue to support this president.
Maybe the only way you can do it is with positive energy and prayer (and don’t underestimate the power of those two things!). I’m going to support him that way and with the power of my microphone. This man stepped up in a time when the country’s problems looked insurmountable. Now that he has, let’s continue to hold him up. This President’s Day, let’s try to do something that will make a difference. Let’s become better consumers, better volunteers, better mentors and better Americans. I think it’s the best way we can salute President Obama on a day set aside to honor the leaders of our nation.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30