Friday kicked off the first day of spring, so we’re supposed to be thinking about new beginnings, fresh starts and de-cluttering. For the TJMS, one way we try to freshen up every year is with our annual Take a Loved One to the Doctor Day, which encourages everyone to persuade a loved one to visit a health professional.
I really can’t think of a better thing to dedicate or re-dedicate ourselves to than our health or the health of the people we love. So I encourage you to take the pledge to help those you care about live a longer, healthier life.
It’s no secret that African-Americans suffer disproportionately from a variety of diseases that can be prevented, or at least managed if detected in time, including HIV and AIDS. In fact, African-Americans face the most severe rates of HIV infection in the nation. One in 16 black males will be diagnosed with HIV during their lifetime, and for black women, that number is one in 30. And the sad fact is that many people living with HIV are unaware that they are infected, so unless they are taking preventive measures, they stand to pass the disease on to many more people.
Everyone reading this knows someone who is being sexually irresponsible, and if that person is you or someone you love, this would be a great time to turn that behavior around – because although the statistics I shared with you are frightening, the good news is there are some things we can do to make a difference, starting with participating in Take a Loved One to the Doctor Day. If you get tested for HIV, only good can come of it. If you don’t have it, you can make sure you never get it by practicing safe sex, and if you do have it, you can begin to do whatever it takes to begin to get healthier and to begin to practice responsible sexual behavior.
Visiting the doctor on a regular or at least a yearly basis is important to everyone, but it’s even more crucial to our community. Take a Loved One to the Doctor Day was designed to reduce the gap in health care between African-Americans and other populations, improve access to health care information, provide information to the African-American community and take an active role in helping the special people you love find health care.
We’ve set the date for Tuesday, April 7th, but it doesn’t have to start or end on that date. In fact, we need to take responsibility for our loved ones by setting up an appointment for our family and friends today. If they do not have a regular doctor or lack health insurance, contact their local community health center or health department to find out about free or low-cost care.
And listen, don’t just show up on April 7th and say, “Tom Joyner told me to bring my loved one to the doctor!” Go through the proper channels; make sure you and your loved one are wearing clean underwear, and don’t complain about the old People magazines in the waiting room. Just pretend like you didn’t now that Star Jones had left “The View.”
It’s time for us to become accountable for the things in life that are important to us, and that means taking charge of our health and making sure the people we care about are doing the same. Make the pledge today to enhance and extend the lives of those you love. And take a loved one to the doctor.
For more information about HIV testing in your area, visit http://www.HIVtest.org.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30