So, the big day is finally here: Doctor Day! Take a Loved One to the Doctor Day is becoming one of my favorite holidays … it certainly has surpassed Kwanzaa! I love it because it’s a holiday that truly makes a difference. Most holidays start out that way, but then they get bogged down with all kinds of stuff that have nothing to do with their original purpose. Doctor Day has not lost its focus. There’s no tree, no heavy meals, no piñatas, no cards; just making sure the people we love make an appointment to see the doctor. Granted, over the years we’ve added Doctor Day carols like “So Sick,” by Neo that classic “Dr. Feelgood” by the Queen of Soul, and this year, we had a parade — but other than that, we keep it simple. Just take someone you love to the doctor!
Even though we leave it up to you to decide what loved one you’ll take to the doctor, there’s no secret that it’s harder to get men to go the doctor than women. So, without changing the name, this year, we’ve really stressed the important role women play in getting their husbands, boyfriends, fathers and sons to go the doctor. I respect women so much for being on top of their annual check-ups, which is key to catching diseases and conditions early. The earlier they’re detected, the better your chance of getting cured or at least being able to manage whatever you may have.
We’ve asked the women to continue to encourage, urge, beg and, yes, nag the men that they love about going to the doctor, early and often if necessary. I love you, naggers! Keep it up!
And even though we already know it’s true, it can’t be said too often that the one thing most of us can do to jump start a healthier life is to get change some our lifestyle choices. That means we need to eat better and exercise more. If you haven’t joined Team Sybil for the 50 Million Pound Challenge, this is your day. It’s one positive step that can lead you on a journey to better health — and, yes, getting your sexy back.
A lot of us vowed to lose weight, eat better, join a gym, get a check up, get something removed — whatever — as part of our New Year’s resolutions. Now, three months down the road, most of us have reverted back to our old ways. It happens; don’t beat yourself up about it. How about this? Start today, right now, to make a change. This is the Easter season, and all around us, we’re reminded of renewal, new beginnings, resurrection — all very positive things that remind us that it’s time to do better. We know what to do. The key is not to stop once we start.
If you ever overhear people talking about getting married, sometimes they get caught up in the day and don’t even think about the long-term commitment they’re making. Same with starting a healthier lifestyle. Yes, Doctor Day is a great celebration, and we’re all hyped up about taking someone we love to get checked out. But it’s also a long-term commitment that takes work. It’s more than a one-day thing. If you take someone to the doctor, don’t forget about the follow-up visits and to encourage your loved one to put in the work it takes to keep a healthy lifestyle going.
Happy Doctor Day!
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30