So, the big day is finally here: Doctor Day! Take a Loved One to the Doctor Day is becoming one of my favorite holidays … it certainly has surpassed Kwanzaa! I love it because it’s a holiday that truly makes a difference. Most holidays start out that way, but then they get bogged down with all kinds of stuff that have nothing to do with their original purpose. Doctor Day has not lost its focus. There’s no tree, no heavy meals, no piñatas, no cards; just making sure the people we love make an appointment to see the doctor. Granted, over the years we’ve added Doctor Day carols like “So Sick,” by Neo that classic “Dr. Feelgood” by the Queen of Soul, and this year, we had a parade — but other than that, we keep it simple. Just take someone you love to the doctor!
Even though we leave it up to you to decide what loved one you’ll take to the doctor, there’s no secret that it’s harder to get men to go the doctor than women. So, without changing the name, this year, we’ve really stressed the important role women play in getting their husbands, boyfriends, fathers and sons to go the doctor. I respect women so much for being on top of their annual check-ups, which is key to catching diseases and conditions early. The earlier they’re detected, the better your chance of getting cured or at least being able to manage whatever you may have.
We’ve asked the women to continue to encourage, urge, beg and, yes, nag the men that they love about going to the doctor, early and often if necessary. I love you, naggers! Keep it up!
And even though we already know it’s true, it can’t be said too often that the one thing most of us can do to jump start a healthier life is to get change some our lifestyle choices. That means we need to eat better and exercise more. If you haven’t joined Team Sybil for the 50 Million Pound Challenge, this is your day. It’s one positive step that can lead you on a journey to better health — and, yes, getting your sexy back.
A lot of us vowed to lose weight, eat better, join a gym, get a check up, get something removed — whatever — as part of our New Year’s resolutions. Now, three months down the road, most of us have reverted back to our old ways. It happens; don’t beat yourself up about it. How about this? Start today, right now, to make a change. This is the Easter season, and all around us, we’re reminded of renewal, new beginnings, resurrection — all very positive things that remind us that it’s time to do better. We know what to do. The key is not to stop once we start.
If you ever overhear people talking about getting married, sometimes they get caught up in the day and don’t even think about the long-term commitment they’re making. Same with starting a healthier lifestyle. Yes, Doctor Day is a great celebration, and we’re all hyped up about taking someone we love to get checked out. But it’s also a long-term commitment that takes work. It’s more than a one-day thing. If you take someone to the doctor, don’t forget about the follow-up visits and to encourage your loved one to put in the work it takes to keep a healthy lifestyle going.
Happy Doctor Day!
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31