So, even though February, the month of love, is over, we’re still examining love and relationships on today’s show, and it makes sense to me. Because no matter what else is going on, love and love issues remain. Producer Erica Taylor is helping us explore the mistakes we make for love.
We’ve all done something that someone else would consider a mistake for love, but that doesn’t really count?
I think we should go to the limit for real love because if we are really committed, we will, at some point, find ourselves doing more or giving more to our mates. And if you’re the one giving the most, you might feel like you’re a fool. But if what you’re doing is keeping your relationship together, is it really foolish? And does it feel foolish to you when only you and your partner know about it, or is it when someone on the outside finds out about it that makes you feel like a fool?
If you’re really in love, you shouldn’t be keeping score. If no one is getting hurt physically or mentally, what’s wrong with putting yourself out there for the sake of showing your unconditional love?
This brings me to Chris Brown and Rihanna. The story this weekend is that they’ve reunited. Anyone surprised? We all know women in abusive relationships who allow their abusers back in their lives not once, but sometime hundreds of times. When I said I couldn’t under any circumstances accept what Chris Brown allegedly did to his girlfriend Rihanna, the majority of calls and text messages I got from mostly women said I was wrong – that Chris Brown was a kid who made a mistake and should be forgiven. Forgiven yes, but excused, never. And by the way, he didn’t make a mistake. What he did was a deliberate act of violence, and every expert I’ve heard says that these things usually happen more than once. So, if Chris Brown and Rihanna are back together, there’s a very good chance that it will happen again. I pray that it doesn’t. I pray that he gets the help he needs and they go on to have a happy, healthy relationship. But that’s not what the statistics bear out. And the shelters are full of battered women to show for it.
But Rihanna isn’t being a fool for love for going back to Chris. She’s being human, and since she’s just 21, she has every reason to believe that a promise to never hit again can be trusted. Chris Brown is even younger and might believe in his heart that he will never put his hands on her in anger again. But if he doesn’t get the help he needs, the odds are that he will fall right back into that pattern of violence the next time he gets loses his temper.
If you’re a battered woman or know one, I wish you could reach out to Rihanna and any other young women in her situation and tell her the truth. And men who are abusers should do the same thing with Chris and abusive young guys. As fans, it’s fine for us all to love Chris and Rihanna in that optimistic, Hollywood-ending, rose-colored glasses sort of way, but what they need from real adults in the real world is real help and tough love.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30