Don’t Hate the Technology
This morning on the Big Show, we ask the question, “How Has Texting Gotten You in Trouble?” We are singling out that mode of technology, but really, thousands of years ago, you could have asked a similar question to a caveman – “How did drawings on the walls of the caves get you in a jam”? Because in the end, it isn’t the technology that does us in; it’s our stupidity, ignorance or carelessness – and sometimes all three things working together at once.
Now, don’t get me wrong: I do think the more technology we have, the more trouble we’re able to get in. It’s like every advancement in communications intended to make our lives better has the potential to ruin us, especially relationship wise. And trust me, no one is looking out for you when they improve on technology. It’s every man, woman and player for him or herself.
Of course, when it comes to texting mistakes, former Detorit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick is the poster child. So, when you think about it, every player or potential player out there owes him a debt of gratitude. His stupidity/ignorance/carelessness may have saved your life – or at least your relationship. If you’re like me, before Kwame got busted, you had no idea that every single business, professional, private, personal, sexual, freaky, nasty, perverted message you’ve ever sent goes to a service – like, in his case, Skytel – that keeps records of each and every one of them.
But now you know, and if anyone is still sending text messages that include anything that can cause them to be arrested, divorced or humiliated beyond reason, it’s on them.
So, does that mean Kwame will be the last man or woman to have their intimate text messages subpoenaed and placed in newspapers or read on the air by DJs? Not a chance. In fact, someone right now is text messaging the person they’re cheating and telling them how much they want to get together later; another person is sending naked pictures they only want one person to see, and someone else just accidentally sent the text breaking up with their girlfriend to their wife.
Every real player knows the number-one rule in the hand book – Chapter One, page one, paragraph one – is Never Put Anything in Writing. But you know what? It doesn’t even matter. You can have all the rules and regulations in the world; you can have all the technology in the world; you can have all the excuses in the world, but the bottom line is if you’re playing, you’re going to get caught eventually.
In the meantime, remember it isn’t the texting that’s getting you in trouble; it’s what you’re texting. If your boss gets a text from you saying how stupid you think he is that was intended for your co-worker, or if you get an explicit message from your son intended for his girlfriend, the only way to make sure it never happens again is to stop sending or reading text messages. But who are we kidding?
Let those thumbs fly, and treat a text the same way you would have treated a note to someone you liked in the first grade. Remember there’s a chance the teacher or SkyTel will decide to share your message with the classroom or the world. So be careful what you write. Don’t hate the technology. Hate the game!
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30