Don’t Hate the Technology
This morning on the Big Show, we ask the question, “How Has Texting Gotten You in Trouble?” We are singling out that mode of technology, but really, thousands of years ago, you could have asked a similar question to a caveman – “How did drawings on the walls of the caves get you in a jam”? Because in the end, it isn’t the technology that does us in; it’s our stupidity, ignorance or carelessness – and sometimes all three things working together at once.
Now, don’t get me wrong: I do think the more technology we have, the more trouble we’re able to get in. It’s like every advancement in communications intended to make our lives better has the potential to ruin us, especially relationship wise. And trust me, no one is looking out for you when they improve on technology. It’s every man, woman and player for him or herself.
Of course, when it comes to texting mistakes, former Detorit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick is the poster child. So, when you think about it, every player or potential player out there owes him a debt of gratitude. His stupidity/ignorance/carelessness may have saved your life – or at least your relationship. If you’re like me, before Kwame got busted, you had no idea that every single business, professional, private, personal, sexual, freaky, nasty, perverted message you’ve ever sent goes to a service – like, in his case, Skytel – that keeps records of each and every one of them.
But now you know, and if anyone is still sending text messages that include anything that can cause them to be arrested, divorced or humiliated beyond reason, it’s on them.
So, does that mean Kwame will be the last man or woman to have their intimate text messages subpoenaed and placed in newspapers or read on the air by DJs? Not a chance. In fact, someone right now is text messaging the person they’re cheating and telling them how much they want to get together later; another person is sending naked pictures they only want one person to see, and someone else just accidentally sent the text breaking up with their girlfriend to their wife.
Every real player knows the number-one rule in the hand book – Chapter One, page one, paragraph one – is Never Put Anything in Writing. But you know what? It doesn’t even matter. You can have all the rules and regulations in the world; you can have all the technology in the world; you can have all the excuses in the world, but the bottom line is if you’re playing, you’re going to get caught eventually.
In the meantime, remember it isn’t the texting that’s getting you in trouble; it’s what you’re texting. If your boss gets a text from you saying how stupid you think he is that was intended for your co-worker, or if you get an explicit message from your son intended for his girlfriend, the only way to make sure it never happens again is to stop sending or reading text messages. But who are we kidding?
Let those thumbs fly, and treat a text the same way you would have treated a note to someone you liked in the first grade. Remember there’s a chance the teacher or SkyTel will decide to share your message with the classroom or the world. So be careful what you write. Don’t hate the technology. Hate the game!
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31