What is there to know about Dominique? Well, if you’re interested in high – powered comedy, there is everything to know, From clubs across the country to Comedy Central’s hit “CHAPELLE’s SHOW” she’s showing America what a comedienne is.
She began honing her skills unprofessionally as a civil servant on the nightshift as a postal worker at the now infamous Brentwood Postal facility in her native Washington D.C. “I knew something like that was gonna happen. I used to see all kinds of stuff that terrorist could use come through that post office. But that was back in the good ole’ Timothy McVeigh days”, she quips about the nation’s anthrax scare. Boredom with the job and fear of going postal gave way to open mic nights at local clubs at the behest of friends and co – workers. She immediately gained a reputation for telling it like it is; raw and uncut and unknowingly garnered a loyal following. Washington’s uppity audiences gravitated toward her mixture of politics, street culture and current events. Her strong presence and a bravado rarely seen in female comics quickly gained the attention of the producers of HBO’s “Russell Simmons’ Def Comedy Jam”, the show that changed comedy forever. She went from shuffling mail to working with the likes of Chris Rock in no time. “I didn’t do anything special. I just talked about what I knew and the next thing you know I’m on T. V. I quit that job and took about 20 books of stamps. I figured they owed me.”. She never looked back.
Sensing that she had outgrown DC’s small comedy scene, she moved to the Bronx, which wasn’t a far cry from the Southeast, and became a fixture at the clubs in New York City. Places like the “Comic Strip” and “Stand Up New York” served as testing grounds for her new material. On a chance Wednesday night at a small club on the lower eastside she met Saturday Night Live’s Tracy Morgan who made Dominique his opening act for his run at Caroline’s on Broadway Comedy Club. The two formed a friendship and have been working together ever since. Being Tracy’s feature however wasn’t enough to keep the bills paid so Dominique became what she calls a ‘hustler’, performing all over die country to make ends meet. From Caroline’s in New York. to The Improv in Miami to LA’s Laugh Factory, and every club in between, Dominique has wowed audiences with her straight forward wit and comedic standpoint reminiscent of Mom’s Mabley..
A run on the highly successful Def Comedy Jam Tour and numerous television appearances including the fresh new “Comic Groove” on Comedy Central, the legendary “Showtime at the Apollo” and the controversial “Comic View” on Black Entertainment Television prompted a move to Los Angeles. Upon arrival, Dominique began making the rounds in Hollywood’s comedy clubs as well as the smaller lesser known clubs in LA. “I like telling jokes in mainstream clubs as well as underground spots cause it keeps me fresh no matter where I am”. And fresh she is. She has become a club staple and continues to tour clubs and colleges around the country. Since 1998, Dominique has been a headliner on the RJE Comedy Cabaret Tour http://www.comediandepot.com, the largest and highest grossing college/ university based comedy tour. She has participated in Urban Internationals Comedy Arts Festival better know as Jamie Foxx’s “laffapalooza” as well as the Don “DC” Curry’s “Bay Area Comedy Competition” in Oakland. After Two (2) years of study, she added acting to her resume when she landed a part in the critically acclaimed indie “Thirty Years to Life”.
These are the things to know about Dominique, she’s a class act from stage to film, she’s a woman with a strong point of view and a strong way of telling it and she’s ready for whatever those in the know throw her way.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31