What is there to know about Dominique? Well, if you’re interested in high – powered comedy, there is everything to know, From clubs across the country to Comedy Central’s hit “CHAPELLE’s SHOW” she’s showing America what a comedienne is.
She began honing her skills unprofessionally as a civil servant on the nightshift as a postal worker at the now infamous Brentwood Postal facility in her native Washington D.C. “I knew something like that was gonna happen. I used to see all kinds of stuff that terrorist could use come through that post office. But that was back in the good ole’ Timothy McVeigh days”, she quips about the nation’s anthrax scare. Boredom with the job and fear of going postal gave way to open mic nights at local clubs at the behest of friends and co – workers. She immediately gained a reputation for telling it like it is; raw and uncut and unknowingly garnered a loyal following. Washington’s uppity audiences gravitated toward her mixture of politics, street culture and current events. Her strong presence and a bravado rarely seen in female comics quickly gained the attention of the producers of HBO’s “Russell Simmons’ Def Comedy Jam”, the show that changed comedy forever. She went from shuffling mail to working with the likes of Chris Rock in no time. “I didn’t do anything special. I just talked about what I knew and the next thing you know I’m on T. V. I quit that job and took about 20 books of stamps. I figured they owed me.”. She never looked back.
Sensing that she had outgrown DC’s small comedy scene, she moved to the Bronx, which wasn’t a far cry from the Southeast, and became a fixture at the clubs in New York City. Places like the “Comic Strip” and “Stand Up New York” served as testing grounds for her new material. On a chance Wednesday night at a small club on the lower eastside she met Saturday Night Live’s Tracy Morgan who made Dominique his opening act for his run at Caroline’s on Broadway Comedy Club. The two formed a friendship and have been working together ever since. Being Tracy’s feature however wasn’t enough to keep the bills paid so Dominique became what she calls a ‘hustler’, performing all over die country to make ends meet. From Caroline’s in New York. to The Improv in Miami to LA’s Laugh Factory, and every club in between, Dominique has wowed audiences with her straight forward wit and comedic standpoint reminiscent of Mom’s Mabley..
A run on the highly successful Def Comedy Jam Tour and numerous television appearances including the fresh new “Comic Groove” on Comedy Central, the legendary “Showtime at the Apollo” and the controversial “Comic View” on Black Entertainment Television prompted a move to Los Angeles. Upon arrival, Dominique began making the rounds in Hollywood’s comedy clubs as well as the smaller lesser known clubs in LA. “I like telling jokes in mainstream clubs as well as underground spots cause it keeps me fresh no matter where I am”. And fresh she is. She has become a club staple and continues to tour clubs and colleges around the country. Since 1998, Dominique has been a headliner on the RJE Comedy Cabaret Tour http://www.comediandepot.com, the largest and highest grossing college/ university based comedy tour. She has participated in Urban Internationals Comedy Arts Festival better know as Jamie Foxx’s “laffapalooza” as well as the Don “DC” Curry’s “Bay Area Comedy Competition” in Oakland. After Two (2) years of study, she added acting to her resume when she landed a part in the critically acclaimed indie “Thirty Years to Life”.
These are the things to know about Dominique, she’s a class act from stage to film, she’s a woman with a strong point of view and a strong way of telling it and she’s ready for whatever those in the know throw her way.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30