For those in the know, “Watch Out Deh Now” is more than a heed to action, it’s the trademark catcall for funnyman J. Anthony Brown. As a forerunner to today’s hot Black comedy scene, and one of the foremost kings of that comedy, J. Anthony Brown is finally receiving the accolades he so justly deserves. A staple on the nationally syndicated Tom Joyner Morning Show for over fifteen years now, he is one of the voices that wake up millions of radio listeners in over 105 markets.
J. Anthony Brown is a titanic comedic force! His sidesplitting antics and sensibilities have set a precedent that many now follow. Whether he is murdering the hits with his off key version of the latest song, or donning a pink pimp suit to evoke a laugh, Brown will get to your funny bone. His penchant for alligator shoes and rainbow colored suits convey his “party time” approach for fun.
“A lot of comics just do standup. But stand up is just one of the many facets of comedy. In my act, I ride the spectrum of funny. I’ll sing, incorporate skits and vignettes, do costume changes, and still tell you a joke,” reveals Brown. BET recognized the power of his comedic drive and therefore had him host two consecutive seasons of their top rated network show, “Comic View.” Revamped as “Club Comic View,” the show has been the network’s number one show for over 12 years. As testimony to the comedian’s draw power, his season had some of the comedy world’s biggest names grace the stage.
But it was Brown’s role as Pop on the WB Network’s Like Family, starring Holly Robinson Pete, which initially garnered the funny man his widest mainstream audience. That coupled with the hilarious “Champs” & “Burger King” television commercials, he was catapulted to the forefront of America’s viewing plate. The South Carolina native began his career by chance in 1972 after after relocating to Atlanta. He was originally pursuing a career as a clothing designer when $316 short of tuition money, he visited a local club and entered a gong show contest. The one time tailor was asked back to the venue, and later transformed it into a city hot spot as word of his natural wit traveled quickly.
Brown later left Atlanta for Hollywood, landing a job as head staff writer for the Arsenio Hall Show. An industry staple since, his impressive list of credits include hosting two consecutive seasons of Comic View, performances on Def Jam, It’s Showtime at the Apollo and Evening at the Improv. Writing credits include Tom Joyner TV Show, Steve Harvey’s Big Time, Me and The Boys, The Parent ‘Hood and the Arsenio Hall Show. Movie credits include Tripple X -State of the Union, Mr. 3000, Drumline & How to Be a Player. Television credits include Tom Joyner TV Show on ABC, Tom Joyner Sky Show on TV-One, Dlife-Diabetes Talk Show on CNBC, EVE, Steve Harvey’s Big Time, Like Family, The Parkers, Livin’ Single, The Parent ‘Hood, Martin, Moesha, The Hugley’s, Sparks, and even Oprah.
An innovative businessman as well as comedian, Brown has his own line of products that carry his name, including his own clothing line, “The J. Anthony Brown Collection,” honey and hot sauces, CD’s, and comedy videos. A creative artist and talented visionary, the comedian’s artwork has been featured along side Annie Lee in an art exhibit in Washington, DC in November 2005. In addition, Brown is a spokesperson for diabetes, a disease he manages personally. In 2005-2006 he was one of the co-host of Dlife, a diabetes talk show promoting healthy living with diabetes.
It’s a wonder Brown has the energy to laugh at a joke, much less tell one. With a daily routine that begins at 2:00 a.m. and continues non-stop, J. Anthony Brown is one of the industry’s hardest working comedians. He has helped to pave the way for today’s hottest talent and continues as a trailblazer with his comedic contributions. “Watch Out Deh Now” – J. Anthony Brown is one funny man!
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30