TOM JOYNER: The First Lady is on the phone. Say good morning to Mrs. Michelle Obama.
FIRST LADY MICHELLE OBAMA: Good morning.
SYBIL WILKES: All hail the First Lady! Good morning.
How are you all doing?
TOM JOYNER: We’re cold – in most of the country.
I know. It’s so – it’s not good, the cold.
TOM JOYNER: The White House is an old building. Is it drafty?
You know, it surprisingly isn’t. They’ve got good heat. We got good heat. I think it’s all the bombproof glass. Not much can get through, not even cold air. (Laughter.)
SYBIL WILKES: Good insulation.
Good insulation, yes.
TOM JOYNER: So, we’re here to talk about the “Let’s Move” campaign.
SYBIL WILKES: The anniversary.
We’ve hit one year, one year working – yes, but working to end childhood obesity, so it has been a very exciting and productive year.
We’ve seen a real fundamental change in the conversation that we’re having in the country not just about our kids, but how we eat as a country and how we grow our food, where we get it. And we’ve just seen so many people from all across the country, every sector stepping up to make some important changes for our kids.
And I can see some of the differences just visiting schools across the country. I was in Atlanta yesterday, this wonderful school where the principal – they’ve got this beautiful garden; and they’ve got fruit and vegetable snacks; and health ambassadors, young kids that walk around with little farmer hats and – delivering their fruits and vegetables; and kids know about these plants; and they’ve got the butterfly garden. I mean, these are going on in black communities and in urban communities where kids are really getting the message. And they’re asking their families to make changes.
So, step by step, we’re starting to see some impact. But we’re still not there. We got a long way to go.
JOYNER: When are we going to see a change in the lunchroom?
JOYNER: And P.E. – and P.E.? Because we got to eat and we go to move.
Right, it’s not enough to eat well. Hey, we –
JOYNER: And we need to eat well, but we also need to move, and schools don’t have P.E.
That’s right. Well, this year, at the beginning of the year, we passed the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act, which was historic legislation. And I don’t even think I realized the magnitude that we haven’t seen changes or improvements in school lunches in decades.
And this is the first – many advocates have been pushing to try to get better nutrition guidelines, and this is the first time that we were able to get the Congress to act. So schools across the country, public schools should begin to start seeing the changes and increased standards in the menus, more nutrition education over the next school year. It’s one of those incremental implementation plans.
But parents should start looking – but people shouldn’t wait to – for legislation to move us on this front because schools have been making changes long before we even started this conversation.
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25
Continue reading Michelle Obama ‘Calls Home’ to the TJMS