TOM JOYNER: The First Lady is on the phone. Say good morning to Mrs. Michelle Obama.
FIRST LADY MICHELLE OBAMA: Good morning.
SYBIL WILKES: All hail the First Lady! Good morning.
How are you all doing?
TOM JOYNER: We’re cold – in most of the country.
I know. It’s so – it’s not good, the cold.
TOM JOYNER: The White House is an old building. Is it drafty?
You know, it surprisingly isn’t. They’ve got good heat. We got good heat. I think it’s all the bombproof glass. Not much can get through, not even cold air. (Laughter.)
SYBIL WILKES: Good insulation.
Good insulation, yes.
TOM JOYNER: So, we’re here to talk about the “Let’s Move” campaign.
SYBIL WILKES: The anniversary.
We’ve hit one year, one year working – yes, but working to end childhood obesity, so it has been a very exciting and productive year.
We’ve seen a real fundamental change in the conversation that we’re having in the country not just about our kids, but how we eat as a country and how we grow our food, where we get it. And we’ve just seen so many people from all across the country, every sector stepping up to make some important changes for our kids.
And I can see some of the differences just visiting schools across the country. I was in Atlanta yesterday, this wonderful school where the principal – they’ve got this beautiful garden; and they’ve got fruit and vegetable snacks; and health ambassadors, young kids that walk around with little farmer hats and – delivering their fruits and vegetables; and kids know about these plants; and they’ve got the butterfly garden. I mean, these are going on in black communities and in urban communities where kids are really getting the message. And they’re asking their families to make changes.
So, step by step, we’re starting to see some impact. But we’re still not there. We got a long way to go.
JOYNER: When are we going to see a change in the lunchroom?
JOYNER: And P.E. – and P.E.? Because we got to eat and we go to move.
Right, it’s not enough to eat well. Hey, we –
JOYNER: And we need to eat well, but we also need to move, and schools don’t have P.E.
That’s right. Well, this year, at the beginning of the year, we passed the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act, which was historic legislation. And I don’t even think I realized the magnitude that we haven’t seen changes or improvements in school lunches in decades.
And this is the first – many advocates have been pushing to try to get better nutrition guidelines, and this is the first time that we were able to get the Congress to act. So schools across the country, public schools should begin to start seeing the changes and increased standards in the menus, more nutrition education over the next school year. It’s one of those incremental implementation plans.
But parents should start looking – but people shouldn’t wait to – for legislation to move us on this front because schools have been making changes long before we even started this conversation.
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30
Continue reading Michelle Obama ‘Calls Home’ to the TJMS