TOM JOYNER: On the line right now is the president of the United States, Barack Obama. Good morning, Big Chief.
PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA: Tom Joyner, how are you, my friend?
TOM JOYNER: I’m good. I’m good. I heard you’re busy.
Well, obviously we spent the weekend dealing with this hurricane situation. And as I was mentioning, it obviously is heartbreaking for families who lost loved ones, people who are seeing their homes flooded out. But it could have been a lot worse. So, thanks to the great preparations done at the state, local and federal levels, it looks like we’re going to have some clean-up to do, but we averted what could have been a real tragedy.
TOM JOYNER: You got a price tag yet?
No, don’t have a price tag yet – a lot of assessments still being done. There’s still a lot of flooding going on up in the Northeast – states like Vermont are getting very hard hit. But we’ll be able to dig our way out of this thing. And it was a testament, though, to the outstanding work that a lot of public officials did in terms of making sure that the preparations were there. Right now, we’re probably going to be dealing with a lot of power outages, a lot of road clean-up, transit, things like that.
SYBIL WILKES: How about your girls, sir? Did they sustain any damage at your vacation spot?
No. Look, it was fine in Massachusetts up through the time that we left, and so they spent yesterday inside pondering the fact that they need to go back to school. (Laughter) So the fun and games are over. Mom said it’s time to start turning off the TV and hitting the books.
TOM JOYNER: Yes, it is that time, huh?
It is, absolutely.
TOM JOYNER: Okay. Let’s talk about, first of all, the MLK dedication. They’re going to reschedule it. You don’t have a time or date yet?
We don’t have a date yet. But those who’ve had a chance to see the monument, it is a moving and powerful thing. When you think about how this is a man who didn’t have a title, didn’t have a rank in the military, but just led a nation in rediscovering its ideals and its values, and to have him staring out across the water towards the Jefferson Monument is a reminder of what’s possible in this country. So I know those who’ve already seen it have just been moved to tears by its presence, and it’s going to be an extraordinary legacy for this country for many years to come…
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
27 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 27
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 27
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 27
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 27
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 27
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 27
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 27
8. new new
8 of 27
9. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
9 of 27
10. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
10 of 27
11 of 27
12. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
12 of 27
13. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
13 of 27
14. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
14 of 27
15. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
15 of 27
16. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
16 of 27
17. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
17 of 27
18 of 27
19. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
19 of 27
20. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
20 of 27
21. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
21 of 27
22. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
22 of 27
23. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
23 of 27
24. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
24 of 27
25. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
25 of 27
26. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
26 of 27
27. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
27 of 27