Somewhere at a bank in Florida, there are staffers who have no idea that demure, low-key Lori Rambough, who comes in and handles her business quietly and then goes off into the sunshine, is best known as someone completely and totally different than her banking persona.
Like Clark Kent and Superman, like Beyonce and Sasha Fierce, Rambough has her own alter ego. Her name is Sommore. Rambough is the one who calls to do an interview, and she sounds more like a church lady than the profane, hilarious Sommore, who talks about her penchant for younger lovers, her desire for a huge behind and a whole host of other bawdy topics that will threaten to have you rolling on the floor for real.
This spring, Sommore, D.L. Hughley and Bruce Bruce will headline The Royal Comedy Tour, a multi-city outing that includes The “Tom Joyner Morning Show’s” own J. Anthony Brown, George Wilborn, Aries Spears and more. Kicking off in Nashville tonight, the tour hits Miami during Super Bowl weekend and moves on throughout the country until its end in late March.
We caught up with Rambough from her home in Florida – and she told us all about what it takes to become Sommore.
BlackAmericaWeb.com: You’re heading out soon on The Royal Comedy Tour.
SOMMORE: Man, it’s so good. First of all, it’s me, Bruce Bruce, D.L. Hughley, Don “DC” Curry, George Wilborn; we’re the main stable. It feels like the old-school comedy show. I’m so excited about it. You definitely want to bring your “A” game and prepare for the party.
So how did Lori Rambough become Sommore?
I’m a really, really quiet person. I’m more of the observant kind of person. I’m really laid back. People who don’t know me would never imagine that I’m a comedian. It’s a fantasy that I fulfill every weekend – everything from glamming up, getting dressed … all of that is fantasy to me. I wanted to create a character that was everybody’s friend. You know how you have that one girlfriend? You can’t wait to talk to her because she’s seen the latest “Oprah;” she knows every outfit that Beyonce has on … I wanted to create that. I knew her name had to be one word, so I chose Sommore because if she gave you something good, you’ll want some more.
What were you doing before Sommore was born?
I had already graduated from college; I was teaching algebra. And you know how you have that feeling like, This can’t be it for me. I read a book called “How to be a Stand-up Comedian,” and I’m telling you, I read the entire book. I’m one of those people who respect the art of something, and I did exactly what the book said, and it worked. The books talks about how to do find a manager, how to have a stage presence. When you’re broke, that’s the opportunity to spread your wings and do what you want to do. Do it while you’re broke.
How do you come up with your material?
The beautiful thing about stand-up comedy is that it doesn’t have to be true. If you can have 2 percent of truth in there, if they can visualize even a little bit of it, that’s what makes it funny. I’m watching everything. I’m in public areas interacting with all kinds of people because that’s where you get the true stories.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31