Somewhere at a bank in Florida, there are staffers who have no idea that demure, low-key Lori Rambough, who comes in and handles her business quietly and then goes off into the sunshine, is best known as someone completely and totally different than her banking persona.
Like Clark Kent and Superman, like Beyonce and Sasha Fierce, Rambough has her own alter ego. Her name is Sommore. Rambough is the one who calls to do an interview, and she sounds more like a church lady than the profane, hilarious Sommore, who talks about her penchant for younger lovers, her desire for a huge behind and a whole host of other bawdy topics that will threaten to have you rolling on the floor for real.
This spring, Sommore, D.L. Hughley and Bruce Bruce will headline The Royal Comedy Tour, a multi-city outing that includes The “Tom Joyner Morning Show’s” own J. Anthony Brown, George Wilborn, Aries Spears and more. Kicking off in Nashville tonight, the tour hits Miami during Super Bowl weekend and moves on throughout the country until its end in late March.
We caught up with Rambough from her home in Florida – and she told us all about what it takes to become Sommore.
BlackAmericaWeb.com: You’re heading out soon on The Royal Comedy Tour.
SOMMORE: Man, it’s so good. First of all, it’s me, Bruce Bruce, D.L. Hughley, Don “DC” Curry, George Wilborn; we’re the main stable. It feels like the old-school comedy show. I’m so excited about it. You definitely want to bring your “A” game and prepare for the party.
So how did Lori Rambough become Sommore?
I’m a really, really quiet person. I’m more of the observant kind of person. I’m really laid back. People who don’t know me would never imagine that I’m a comedian. It’s a fantasy that I fulfill every weekend – everything from glamming up, getting dressed … all of that is fantasy to me. I wanted to create a character that was everybody’s friend. You know how you have that one girlfriend? You can’t wait to talk to her because she’s seen the latest “Oprah;” she knows every outfit that Beyonce has on … I wanted to create that. I knew her name had to be one word, so I chose Sommore because if she gave you something good, you’ll want some more.
What were you doing before Sommore was born?
I had already graduated from college; I was teaching algebra. And you know how you have that feeling like, This can’t be it for me. I read a book called “How to be a Stand-up Comedian,” and I’m telling you, I read the entire book. I’m one of those people who respect the art of something, and I did exactly what the book said, and it worked. The books talks about how to do find a manager, how to have a stage presence. When you’re broke, that’s the opportunity to spread your wings and do what you want to do. Do it while you’re broke.
How do you come up with your material?
The beautiful thing about stand-up comedy is that it doesn’t have to be true. If you can have 2 percent of truth in there, if they can visualize even a little bit of it, that’s what makes it funny. I’m watching everything. I’m in public areas interacting with all kinds of people because that’s where you get the true stories.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30