Somewhere at a bank in Florida, there are staffers who have no idea that demure, low-key Lori Rambough, who comes in and handles her business quietly and then goes off into the sunshine, is best known as someone completely and totally different than her banking persona.
Like Clark Kent and Superman, like Beyonce and Sasha Fierce, Rambough has her own alter ego. Her name is Sommore. Rambough is the one who calls to do an interview, and she sounds more like a church lady than the profane, hilarious Sommore, who talks about her penchant for younger lovers, her desire for a huge behind and a whole host of other bawdy topics that will threaten to have you rolling on the floor for real.
This spring, Sommore, D.L. Hughley and Bruce Bruce will headline The Royal Comedy Tour, a multi-city outing that includes The “Tom Joyner Morning Show’s” own J. Anthony Brown, George Wilborn, Aries Spears and more. Kicking off in Nashville tonight, the tour hits Miami during Super Bowl weekend and moves on throughout the country until its end in late March.
We caught up with Rambough from her home in Florida – and she told us all about what it takes to become Sommore.
BlackAmericaWeb.com: You’re heading out soon on The Royal Comedy Tour.
SOMMORE: Man, it’s so good. First of all, it’s me, Bruce Bruce, D.L. Hughley, Don “DC” Curry, George Wilborn; we’re the main stable. It feels like the old-school comedy show. I’m so excited about it. You definitely want to bring your “A” game and prepare for the party.
So how did Lori Rambough become Sommore?
I’m a really, really quiet person. I’m more of the observant kind of person. I’m really laid back. People who don’t know me would never imagine that I’m a comedian. It’s a fantasy that I fulfill every weekend – everything from glamming up, getting dressed … all of that is fantasy to me. I wanted to create a character that was everybody’s friend. You know how you have that one girlfriend? You can’t wait to talk to her because she’s seen the latest “Oprah;” she knows every outfit that Beyonce has on … I wanted to create that. I knew her name had to be one word, so I chose Sommore because if she gave you something good, you’ll want some more.
What were you doing before Sommore was born?
I had already graduated from college; I was teaching algebra. And you know how you have that feeling like, This can’t be it for me. I read a book called “How to be a Stand-up Comedian,” and I’m telling you, I read the entire book. I’m one of those people who respect the art of something, and I did exactly what the book said, and it worked. The books talks about how to do find a manager, how to have a stage presence. When you’re broke, that’s the opportunity to spread your wings and do what you want to do. Do it while you’re broke.
How do you come up with your material?
The beautiful thing about stand-up comedy is that it doesn’t have to be true. If you can have 2 percent of truth in there, if they can visualize even a little bit of it, that’s what makes it funny. I’m watching everything. I’m in public areas interacting with all kinds of people because that’s where you get the true stories.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25