Somewhere at a bank in Florida, there are staffers who have no idea that demure, low-key Lori Rambough, who comes in and handles her business quietly and then goes off into the sunshine, is best known as someone completely and totally different than her banking persona.
Like Clark Kent and Superman, like Beyonce and Sasha Fierce, Rambough has her own alter ego. Her name is Sommore. Rambough is the one who calls to do an interview, and she sounds more like a church lady than the profane, hilarious Sommore, who talks about her penchant for younger lovers, her desire for a huge behind and a whole host of other bawdy topics that will threaten to have you rolling on the floor for real.
This spring, Sommore, D.L. Hughley and Bruce Bruce will headline The Royal Comedy Tour, a multi-city outing that includes The “Tom Joyner Morning Show’s” own J. Anthony Brown, George Wilborn, Aries Spears and more. Kicking off in Nashville tonight, the tour hits Miami during Super Bowl weekend and moves on throughout the country until its end in late March.
We caught up with Rambough from her home in Florida – and she told us all about what it takes to become Sommore.
BlackAmericaWeb.com: You’re heading out soon on The Royal Comedy Tour.
SOMMORE: Man, it’s so good. First of all, it’s me, Bruce Bruce, D.L. Hughley, Don “DC” Curry, George Wilborn; we’re the main stable. It feels like the old-school comedy show. I’m so excited about it. You definitely want to bring your “A” game and prepare for the party.
So how did Lori Rambough become Sommore?
I’m a really, really quiet person. I’m more of the observant kind of person. I’m really laid back. People who don’t know me would never imagine that I’m a comedian. It’s a fantasy that I fulfill every weekend – everything from glamming up, getting dressed … all of that is fantasy to me. I wanted to create a character that was everybody’s friend. You know how you have that one girlfriend? You can’t wait to talk to her because she’s seen the latest “Oprah;” she knows every outfit that Beyonce has on … I wanted to create that. I knew her name had to be one word, so I chose Sommore because if she gave you something good, you’ll want some more.
What were you doing before Sommore was born?
I had already graduated from college; I was teaching algebra. And you know how you have that feeling like, This can’t be it for me. I read a book called “How to be a Stand-up Comedian,” and I’m telling you, I read the entire book. I’m one of those people who respect the art of something, and I did exactly what the book said, and it worked. The books talks about how to do find a manager, how to have a stage presence. When you’re broke, that’s the opportunity to spread your wings and do what you want to do. Do it while you’re broke.
How do you come up with your material?
The beautiful thing about stand-up comedy is that it doesn’t have to be true. If you can have 2 percent of truth in there, if they can visualize even a little bit of it, that’s what makes it funny. I’m watching everything. I’m in public areas interacting with all kinds of people because that’s where you get the true stories.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/7-10/14)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Nite | to the tune of @cnn 😞
1 of 25
2. Got so much work to do but I just wanna stay in bed and binge watch #Gameofthrones and start the new season of #OnceUponATime. I know I can't be the only one. Right? Ha 💤🦁🍂 #saturday
2 of 25
3. Mommy's weekend turn up ❤️👶🏾💕🍼 Wouldn't trade it for nothing. #TeamNoSleep lol #HesMyBiggestBlessing ✨
3 of 25
4. One of them oh shit mont we made it feelings … this shit still be unreal 💯💪🏾 @remyboymonty1738
4 of 25
5. Tickets Available October 14 @ticketmaster.
5 of 25
6. People magazine Home edition has raided my house! Get a sneak peek into the bedroom life of the Leakes and see other parts of my home now at PEOPLE.COM
6 of 25
7. They want to kick you when you down, but kick it when you up
7 of 25
8. Got my advance copy of #Mafia3 at @gamestop. Get yours via link in the bio #Mafia3 #Ad
8 of 25
9. This is some of the cast and our diverse team of writers in the writer's room creating funny sh*t for @nbcmarlon what a fun room! Lots of jokes, great stories and having a great time doing what we love... making people laugh and feel something. Look out for our show next year @nbcmarlon we bringing sitcoms back to NBC
9 of 25
10. #HappySunday☀️Thank you @4everbrandy101 💛💡💛
10 of 25
11. Happy to be back in Central Falls, RI breaking ground for the One Stop Health Center and hosting a local community event with #Vaseline.
11 of 25
12. Thank you all in advance 💋💋💋 #Repost @urbansvintage・・・#TarajiPHenson's memoir #AroundTheWayGirl will be available everywhere TODAY October 11th! Will you be purchasing a copy? #UrbansVintage
12 of 25
13. Moms got my back
13 of 25
14. @galore dinner party glo ✨ thanks to @styledbygiigii
14 of 25
15. 🌹#ThisIsWhatTheTruthFeelsLikeTOUR #forevereve
15 of 25
16. Yes, all those videos I've been posting have led to this: the introduction of skincare to @TYRABeauty! This is the rundown on the new line:Years of research and beauty tips I live by led me to produce the most effective and delightful skincare out there. I'm all about taking really good care of my skin, so I can look like I'm aging in #TyraYears and go filter free on Instagram when I feel like it! Now, it's your turn. ✨My Mama always told me not to wash my face with just my hands. "Tyra, girl, you're just moving the dirt around!" And I've listened. First up is The Clean Machine.... ...a 3-in-1 foaming face wash that cleanses, removes makeup and purified your skin. It has patented technology - a attached Turbo Cleansing Tool - to give you that deep clean that makes your skin feel super fresh. Wanna know more? Yeah, baby. Click that link in my bio.
16 of 25
17. On set of #beingmaryjane like... ❤️😬💃🏾
17 of 25
18. #carouselofhope@yvetteshelton100@makeupbylatrice @thestacetheface@marialuciahohan24
18 of 25
19. I refuse to let a little cold stop me from my daily routines to greatness. #onlythestrongsurvive #warriors
19 of 25
20. Big things begin with big THINKING... #BusinessEthics #SetLife 🎥
20 of 25
21. Goodnight - here's a song
21 of 25
22. Words can't explain the feeling that I have right now.....God is good. look momma I made it. #Harts #Blessed #WhatNow #comedicrockstarshit #4DaysAway
22 of 25
23. I tried to get a better video with out the nasty bib but she started getting mad at me..lol! Big cuz @the_queen_caitlin trying to show her what to do. #MamasToots #HeirBear👑💜
23 of 25
24. Gorgeous Serena joined Beyoncé in Formation last night on stage in New Jersey!!!
24 of 25
25. 😜 @lifeofdesiigner & @rockohill
25 of 25