This 2010 photo shows President Barack Obama (left) with a personalized team jersey next to Los Angeles Lakers guard Kobe Bryant. (AP)
President Barack Obama, who in 1979 won a Hawaii state championship playing basketball for his high school, the Punahou School, really misses NBA basketball. He misses it so much that he’s decided to do something about it.
With the NBA lockout threatening to cancel the entire season, last week, the White House announced that several NBA players have committed to playing in the Obama Classic Basketball Game, scheduled for Monday, Dec. 12th in Washington D.C. Some big names have already committed to participate, including Dwight Howard, Kevin Durant, Chris Paul, Carmelo Anthony, Ray Allen and Chris Bosh.
The venue has not been announced, but the game will raise money for the Obama Victory Fund, which is jointly held by the Democratic National Committee and Obama’s re-election campaign. Tickets, which range from $100 to $5,000 for courtside seats, are not on sale yet, but will made available to the general public.
Others expected to play include Baron Davis, Russell Westbrook, Rudy Gay and NBA players union president Derek Fisher.
It seems kind of obvious that Fisher and other members of his union, which decertified last week and filed several lawsuits against the NBA owners, would support the president since he is such a pro-union guy. Just this past April at an Iowa town hall meeting, Obama said, “I’ve said this before publicly, and I’ll say it again – I make no apologies for it: I am a pro-union guy.”
“Our unions helped build our middle class,” Obama tolf his audience. “We take for granted so much stuff – minimum wage laws, 40-hour work week, overtime, child labor laws. Those things wouldn’t have happened if it hadn’t been for unions fighting for those rights. So, even if you’re not a member of a union, you’ve got to be appreciative of what unions have done.”
Now, obviously, the president believes that unions are a great way to help the middle class, and NBA players are part of the one-percent, but a union mentality is a union mentality. Anyone who has ever been part of a union – or has been part of management and had to deal with a union – knows just how powerful a union can be. Unions protect workers in a way that no individual can protect himself on the job, and whether you’re a teacher, a UPS worker or even a professional athlete, that is a protection that one is not so quick to give up.
If you just look at the situation in Wisconsin, where they are having a record number of recall elections after Republican Gov. Scott Walker, along with both houses of the legislature (also controlled by Republicans), passed a provision that ended collective bargaining for public employees, it’s obvious that Americans like their unions.
In the case of the NBA, the players have taken the negotiations a little personally as well.
Aaron Goodwin, a black agent who represents Oklahoma City’s Kevin Durant, told the Washington Post, “For years, owners have treated players as if they are just their property, fining them over how they dress, act, everything. This is the first time the players have the opportunity to say no.”
And it is their union that is allowing them to do so.
For years, players have felt as though a plantation mentality has swept through the NBA. Yes, they make lots of money, but being fined for the way they dress (including wearing baseball hats) or taunting during a game (which isn’t really taunting and is the way most of them grew up playing the game) or for leaving the bench during a game (which can cost them a one-game suspension) hasn’t sat well with them. While these issues could be addressed during these negotiations, they have not been. They have been lost in lieu of the much larger and more important issues like how to split up the income. The players do not want to take a loss on this issue, partially because of how they feel about everything else.
So, it is the union that gives the players a semblance of respect. And they don’t want to give that up.
Now, with their union decertified, the players throw their support to President Obama, who, last month at a fundraiser in Orlando with Magic star Dwight Howard, said that he’s “a little heartbroken that the NBA season is getting delayed.”
You can be sure that Derek Fisher and the rest of the NBA players are a little heartbroken, too.
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30
Continue reading NBA Players to Lace Up for Obama Classic Game