Recently I saw the feature film, “Colombiana,” starring mini-mega Dominican/Puerto Rican actress, Zoe Saldana. The film surrounds the life of Cataleya Restropo, a small girl with a huge determination to avenge the lives of her parents, who were gunned down in her presence. There are knives, Uzis, quick-paced car/foot chases and underground escapes.
And that’s just the first five minutes.
When I first saw the trailer for “Colombiana,” I was awestruck. It was the first time I had witnessed a black woman featured as the star of an action film who wasn’t surrounded by long Cadillacs, fur coats and streetwalkers. Somehow, director Oliver Megaton convinced Hollywood that it was time for women of color to prevail on screen. I’m sure that $29.7 million dollars later, he doesn’t regret his decision.
Many people chose to criticize Saldana for her physique, which was definitely smaller than many of the existing African-American on-screen divas. In a recent interview with Ebony magazine, Saldana said that she’s always been naturally thin, but you have to take months of training into account for her role as Cataleya. When you witness her toned body climbing through air vents, slinging four-foot machine guns and beating the sense out of the bad guy, you’ll understand how she may have dropped a few pounds during filming. Hey, someone had to do the stunts, and everyone knows that if you want things done right, just do it yourself.
Many nods and kudos have been given to Saldana, whose character made it her full-time career to be a vigilante assassin, but I have to recognize child actress, Amandla Stenberg. Stenberg played the role of 10 year-old Cataleya, who instantaneously hardened her mentality and initiated the first action sequence in the film. The beautiful young girl showed a dark side of herself that set the stage for Saldana’s older character to engage the audience. Her bravery, endurance and emotion was perfect for a young girl who had just suffered an unthinkable loss. I wouldn’t advise any child to take on the task of sliding into a street sewer, but since it was part of her job description, Stenberg handled the task seamlessly.
“Colombiana” is a far cry from Saldana’s last hit film, “Avatar,” where we only identified with her animated persona. This film, which showcases a woman who thinks critically about her prey and always makes her target, is ground-breaking. As the film ended, I was glued to my seat and watched the credits just so I could know the cast and crew that helped to inspire this overwhelming sense of pride in me. It was so exciting to see a woman of color with such respected strength on screen for everyone to admire. And it wasn’t until the end that I realized (and someone pointed out) that she remained clothed throughout the film, with very little intimacy. It just wasn’t necessary to tell the story.
Thank you, Oliver Megaton, and casting director John Pasidera for making this story a Hollywood reality for young people of color.
If you haven’t had a chance to see Saldana and Stenberg in action – real action – buy your ticket – not your bootleg – and see “Colombiana,” in theaters, right now.
Erica Taylor is a veteran producer and assistant writer for “The Tom Joyner Morning Show.” Check out the “Little Known Black History Fact,” heard everyday on the TJMS, and stay tuned for more “Beyond the Studio” interviews seen on BlackAmericaWeb.com and YouTube. Check out her Twitter page by clicking here.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31