In this May photo, Luther Campbell speaks during a forum with other Miami-Dade mayoral candidates. (AP)
Legendary hypeman and longtime graphic hip-hop lyricist Luther Campbell is judiciously seeking to distance himself from his latest alleged act of salaciousness.
Convicted swindler and $930 million Ponzi scheme mastermind Nevin Shapiro charges that he took the reigns directly from Campbell in doling out impermissible perks ranging from cash, cars, jewelry and wild sex parties to at least 72 University of Miami athletes over an eight-year period that could result in the once vaulted UM football program being hit with sanctions as severe as the death penalty.
Shapiro says he even bankrolled a revolving cash fund where bounties as high as $5,000 were routinely placed on the heads of rival star players, among them golden-boy quarterback Tim Tebow of rival Florida.
“Here’s the thing, Luther Campbell was the first uncle who took care of players before I got going,” Shapiro, now serving a 20-year federal prison sentence, told Yahoo! Sports over the course of an 11-month investigation and more than 100 hours of jailhouse interviews. “His role was diminished by the NCAA and the school, and someone needed to pick up the mantle. That someone was me. He was ‘Uncle Luke,’ and I became ‘Little Luke.’”
Campbell, who never met a line or performance he shied away from or seemed to deem too risqué during his thrill-seeking, chart-topping heydays of the ’90s, appears none too flattered by all Shapiro’s idolatry.
Now a candidate for mayor in nearby Dade-County, Campbell, 50, shot back in a Miami-Times column: “First of all, I have never been a UM booster. I have never given a dime to the school. I have and always will support the players and the program out of civic pride, but I never violated any NCAA rules when I was the team’s biggest fan. If Nevin really wanted people to see him as ‘Little Luke,’ then he would have dedicated part of his life to helping kids in Miami’s inner city neighborhoods get college educations.”
And let the record show, Campbell’s history of aiding the youth of Miami is as long as Shapiro’s is checkered. Campbell’s Liberty City Optimist youth program provides academic and athletic support to youths aged five to 15, and his Luther Campbell Foundation regularly sponsors toy, school supplies and scholarship drives for the underprivileged.
“Many of these kids find themselves at a crossroads; we try to be there to make sure they come out on the right side,” he said.
As for the UM scandal, Campbell feels that situation has also reached a point of critical mass. “Love for ‘The U’ runs deep,” he said. “If the NCAA kills the program, there will be a lot of people around here slitting their throats.”
But if all Shapiro’s allegations prove true, some NCAA observers feel the governing body will have little choice. Shapiro outlines a systematic pattern of rule-breaking that would seem to soil even the UM legacies of such current NFL stars as Jonathon Vilma, Devin Hester, Kellen Winslow Jr., Vince Wilfork, Jon Beason and Willis MaGahee.
“Some of the players, those players, used to say we were a family,” said Shapiro, in addressing the burning question of why he chose to now put the entire UM program in peril. “Well, who do you go to for help when you need it? You go to your family. Why the hell wouldn’t I go to them. Yeah, I’m guilty, and now I’m an outcast … but you tell me why should the University of Miami be exempt from the truth.”
Again, Campbell seems unnerved, albeit moved to verbosity on the matter.
“That punk could never be like me,” he said of Shapiro. “It has never been about the money for me. It’s always been about community service. That’s what being Uncle Luke is really about. Shapiro is nothing but a jilted groupie who f—-d over a lot of people. Nevin’s mad because he couldn’t get former players to invest in his Ponzi scheme and now he wants to play the role of jailhouse snitch.”
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31
Continue reading Luther Campbell Denies Role in UM Scandal