In this May photo, Luther Campbell speaks during a forum with other Miami-Dade mayoral candidates. (AP)
Legendary hypeman and longtime graphic hip-hop lyricist Luther Campbell is judiciously seeking to distance himself from his latest alleged act of salaciousness.
Convicted swindler and $930 million Ponzi scheme mastermind Nevin Shapiro charges that he took the reigns directly from Campbell in doling out impermissible perks ranging from cash, cars, jewelry and wild sex parties to at least 72 University of Miami athletes over an eight-year period that could result in the once vaulted UM football program being hit with sanctions as severe as the death penalty.
Shapiro says he even bankrolled a revolving cash fund where bounties as high as $5,000 were routinely placed on the heads of rival star players, among them golden-boy quarterback Tim Tebow of rival Florida.
“Here’s the thing, Luther Campbell was the first uncle who took care of players before I got going,” Shapiro, now serving a 20-year federal prison sentence, told Yahoo! Sports over the course of an 11-month investigation and more than 100 hours of jailhouse interviews. “His role was diminished by the NCAA and the school, and someone needed to pick up the mantle. That someone was me. He was ‘Uncle Luke,’ and I became ‘Little Luke.’”
Campbell, who never met a line or performance he shied away from or seemed to deem too risqué during his thrill-seeking, chart-topping heydays of the ’90s, appears none too flattered by all Shapiro’s idolatry.
Now a candidate for mayor in nearby Dade-County, Campbell, 50, shot back in a Miami-Times column: “First of all, I have never been a UM booster. I have never given a dime to the school. I have and always will support the players and the program out of civic pride, but I never violated any NCAA rules when I was the team’s biggest fan. If Nevin really wanted people to see him as ‘Little Luke,’ then he would have dedicated part of his life to helping kids in Miami’s inner city neighborhoods get college educations.”
And let the record show, Campbell’s history of aiding the youth of Miami is as long as Shapiro’s is checkered. Campbell’s Liberty City Optimist youth program provides academic and athletic support to youths aged five to 15, and his Luther Campbell Foundation regularly sponsors toy, school supplies and scholarship drives for the underprivileged.
“Many of these kids find themselves at a crossroads; we try to be there to make sure they come out on the right side,” he said.
As for the UM scandal, Campbell feels that situation has also reached a point of critical mass. “Love for ‘The U’ runs deep,” he said. “If the NCAA kills the program, there will be a lot of people around here slitting their throats.”
But if all Shapiro’s allegations prove true, some NCAA observers feel the governing body will have little choice. Shapiro outlines a systematic pattern of rule-breaking that would seem to soil even the UM legacies of such current NFL stars as Jonathon Vilma, Devin Hester, Kellen Winslow Jr., Vince Wilfork, Jon Beason and Willis MaGahee.
“Some of the players, those players, used to say we were a family,” said Shapiro, in addressing the burning question of why he chose to now put the entire UM program in peril. “Well, who do you go to for help when you need it? You go to your family. Why the hell wouldn’t I go to them. Yeah, I’m guilty, and now I’m an outcast … but you tell me why should the University of Miami be exempt from the truth.”
Again, Campbell seems unnerved, albeit moved to verbosity on the matter.
“That punk could never be like me,” he said of Shapiro. “It has never been about the money for me. It’s always been about community service. That’s what being Uncle Luke is really about. Shapiro is nothing but a jilted groupie who f—-d over a lot of people. Nevin’s mad because he couldn’t get former players to invest in his Ponzi scheme and now he wants to play the role of jailhouse snitch.”
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30
Continue reading Luther Campbell Denies Role in UM Scandal