Carmen DeLavallade was a remarkable figure of dance and choreography in African-American society. Her talent would become affiliated with names like Alvin Ailey, who, for one season, co-branded his company name with hers in his 1962 European and Asian tour. It was the DeLavallade-Ailey Dance Company Tour.
DeLavallade found her gift through her cousin, Janet Collins, who was the first black prima ballerina at the famous Metropolitan Opera in New York. At age 14, she decided to begin studying ballet. Soon after, DeLavallade would sign with the Lester Horton Dance Company in 1949. Becoming one of the biggest names in ballet, DeLavallade held a sensual quality in her dancing and would be called “one of most ravishing women in the world” by Duke Ellington. Many of her roles in the ballet were created especially for her.
In 1954, DeLavallade met the man who would become her husband – actor and dancer, Geoffrey Holder (“Boomerang,” “Annie,” “Live and Let Die”). Soon after, she joined the ranks of her cousin and starred on stage in “Samson and Delilah” and “Aida” at the Met. But, of course, every profession for blacks during that time period was not without discrimination: When DeLavallade and dancer Glen Tetley planned to perform on “The Ed Sullivan Show,” they were denied as a dance couple because she was black, and he was white. She would dance with Alvin Ailey colleague Claude Thompson instead.
DeLavallade would share the stage with names like Josephine Baker, Alvin Ailey and Lena Horne. It was Horne who introduced DeLavallade to 20th Century Fox, where she starred in “Carmen Jones,” “Porgy and Bess” and “Lonesome Dove.” And while she taught at Yale Repertory, DeLavallade would teach then-students Meryl Streep, Sigourney Weaver and Henry Winkler the art of drama.
DeLavallade and Holder are currently hosting the “A Memoir in Four Movements” exhibition at the Dusable Museum of African-American History in Chicago.
2. Got so much work to do but I just wanna stay in bed and binge watch #Gameofthrones and start the new season of #OnceUponATime. I know I can't be the only one. Right? Ha 💤🦁🍂 #saturday
2 of 25
3. Mommy's weekend turn up ❤️👶🏾💕🍼 Wouldn't trade it for nothing. #TeamNoSleep lol #HesMyBiggestBlessing ✨
3 of 25
4. One of them oh shit mont we made it feelings … this shit still be unreal 💯💪🏾 @remyboymonty1738
4 of 25
5. Tickets Available October 14 @ticketmaster.
5 of 25
6. People magazine Home edition has raided my house! Get a sneak peek into the bedroom life of the Leakes and see other parts of my home now at PEOPLE.COM
6 of 25
7. They want to kick you when you down, but kick it when you up
7 of 25
8. Got my advance copy of #Mafia3 at @gamestop. Get yours via link in the bio #Mafia3 #Ad
8 of 25
9. This is some of the cast and our diverse team of writers in the writer's room creating funny sh*t for @nbcmarlon what a fun room! Lots of jokes, great stories and having a great time doing what we love... making people laugh and feel something. Look out for our show next year @nbcmarlon we bringing sitcoms back to NBC
9 of 25
10. #HappySunday☀️Thank you @4everbrandy101 💛💡💛
10 of 25
11. Happy to be back in Central Falls, RI breaking ground for the One Stop Health Center and hosting a local community event with #Vaseline.
11 of 25
12. Thank you all in advance 💋💋💋 #Repost @urbansvintage・・・#TarajiPHenson's memoir #AroundTheWayGirl will be available everywhere TODAY October 11th! Will you be purchasing a copy? #UrbansVintage
12 of 25
13. Moms got my back
13 of 25
14. @galore dinner party glo ✨ thanks to @styledbygiigii
14 of 25
15. 🌹#ThisIsWhatTheTruthFeelsLikeTOUR #forevereve
15 of 25
16. Yes, all those videos I've been posting have led to this: the introduction of skincare to @TYRABeauty! This is the rundown on the new line:Years of research and beauty tips I live by led me to produce the most effective and delightful skincare out there. I'm all about taking really good care of my skin, so I can look like I'm aging in #TyraYears and go filter free on Instagram when I feel like it! Now, it's your turn. ✨My Mama always told me not to wash my face with just my hands. "Tyra, girl, you're just moving the dirt around!" And I've listened. First up is The Clean Machine.... ...a 3-in-1 foaming face wash that cleanses, removes makeup and purified your skin. It has patented technology - a attached Turbo Cleansing Tool - to give you that deep clean that makes your skin feel super fresh. Wanna know more? Yeah, baby. Click that link in my bio.