Patti Austin may have the unique distinction of having the longest career of any active female singer. She’s certainly the one who got discovered and signed at the youngest age.
Move over, child stars Brandy, Monica, and Stevie Wonder. Austin had a record deal at five years old. And over 50 years later, she’s still singing.
Austin has succeeded in several areas of music, as well – from R&B, pop and jazz, as well as being the favored voice in both session recording and commercial jingles in the 1970s. Austin’s latest CD – her 18th – is a combination of remakes and original material including her own compositions.
The Grammy winner is the latest In-Studio Jam performer.
BORN: Austin was born in Harlem, New York.
BIG BREAK: Good family ties. Austin made her debut at the Apollo at age four and had a recording contract at age five. Quincy Jones and Dinah Washington became her godparents.
EDUCATION: The music business, or as Austin says “QU – Quincy University!” By the time she was a teenager, Austin was already a hitmaker, recording a bunch of charting R&B singles that ultimately became collector’s items.
RESUME: In the ’70s and ’80s, Austin was the preeminent New York-based session singer, appearing on albums by Paul Simon, Cat Stevens, James Brown, Joe Cocker, Roberta Flack, Luther Vandross, Diana Ross and singing a host of commercial jingles.
BACK STORY: Music came to Austin naturally; she is the daughter of jazz trombonist Gordon Austin. By age nine, she was touring with Jones in Europe and had appeared on stage and on television. Jones would later help cement Austin in the public eye with her ’80s duets with James Ingram. Her debut CD, “Every Home Should Have One,” included the duet, “Baby Come To Me,” which became a huge hit. “How Do You Keep the Music Playing,” also with Ingram, was on the soundtrack for the movie, “Best Friends,” and was nominated for an Academy Award.
FUN FACT: Austin openly admits that she had gastric bypass surgery some years ago, losing over 100 pounds in the process.
LATEST WORK: “Sound Advice” on Shanachie Records.
ON YOUTUBE: http://www.youtube.com/PattiAustinMusic
ON FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/PattiAustinMusic
ON TWITTER: @pattiaustin
ON MYSPACE: http://www.myspace.com/PattiAustin
OFFICIAL FAN SITE: http://www.pattiaustin.com
BEST OF PATTI AUSTIN:
“My Way” (Audio)
“Four Women,” with Lizz Wright, Dianna Reeves and Simone
“Do You Love Me,” with the Jazz Crusaders
“Baby Come To Me” (Live)
“How Do You Keep The Music Playing?” (Live)
“I wanted to accomplish a lot with ‘Sound Advice’ – including original material, covers and focusing on vocal performances for certain tunes. I’m very happy with the record: I went through a lot of ups and downs about how it was going to flow, about the material, if it would be cohesive and if it was going to have any point of view musically, lyrically, thematically. Now I’m having a lot of fun performing the material live. I am really enjoying this record.” – Official biography (2010)
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31