In Oxford, Ohio, at the Woodside Cemetery, a plain headstone had served as the grave marker for 30 black civil war soldiers for 99 years. The original marker was put in place in 1914 by the Women’s Relief Corps, which disbanded before they could finish the job. Eight of the soldiers buried at Woodside were from the John Brown Post 450, which had been formed in 1884. The final soldier of the unit died in 1938. The men were banned from being buried in the white cemetery with the other veterans. The Women’s Relief Corps was an auxiliary to the John Brown Post 450 of the Grand Army of the Republic.
http://ioneblackamericaweb.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/november-24-2006-robertmcferrinsr.jpg?w=180&h=180&crop=1 http://ioneblackamericaweb.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/november-25-1992-thebodyguard.jpg?w=180&h=180&crop=1 http://ioneblackamericaweb.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/november-26-1878-marshall-taylor.jpg?w=180&h=180&crop=1 http://ioneblackamericaweb.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/november-27-1993-lisahannamissworld.jpg?w=180&h=180&crop=1 http://ioneblackamericaweb.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/november-28-1961-erniedavis.jpg?w=180&h=180&crop=1